Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > R-Class (W251)
After owning an R Class would you ever consider buying another? >

After owning an R Class would you ever consider buying another?

Notices
R-Class (W251) 2006-Present: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

After owning an R Class would you ever consider buying another?

 
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
  #26  
Super Member
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 906
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor View Post
Near future US buyers need to start planning purchase.

Wow, another cryptic doomsday message without details. Again. Thanks for you contribution. Shhhhh, your boss might see you typing.
coladin is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the ML/GL/R assembly line
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
The end is near......

Theres another one for ya.

Nice AMG BTW!
VelociRaptor is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 PM
  #28  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 clk320 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Ted Flynn View Post

I bought an 2008 320 CDI, drove it for 100,000 and my worst issue had to do with replacing some bulbs every 3 months. Then the bad bulbs went away. I paid $50,000 for it & they gave me $28,000 on a trade in for a new 2011.
They gave you $28k trade in credit for a vehicle with 100,000 miles on it? THat's amazing. Did you feel like you robbed them?
vectorz is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM
  #29  
Super Member
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 906
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor View Post
The end is near......

Theres another one for ya.

Nice AMG BTW!

Thanks!

Let me guess, production is ending 12/12/12?
coladin is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
  #30  
Cal
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 164
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Thanks for all the info on the future of the R-class...

Based on all the info out there, it looks like the R-class will continue to be in production, just not for the US Market. (In particular, China has good demand for the R-class.) In any case, the R-class is in dire need of an upgrade/makeover, especially in the interior. It is practically the only car in the lineup with the 90s comand system. The GL is getting the update for next model year. It's also too bad the MB is giving up on the R class here. They are letting cars like the new Infiniti JX get all the marketshare. (BTW, Infiniti is projecting that car to be it's second best seller, second only to the G sedan.)
Cal is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the ML/GL/R assembly line
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
12/21/12 according to the Mayans haha.
VelociRaptor is offline  
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
  #32  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Doylestown, OH
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
What are you talking about a 90's Command? Command in the R-Class was updated in 2009 or 2010. Yes, MB is changing the Command now as is every manufacturer, but it is not all that out of date.
gforaker is offline  
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
  #33  
Member
 
DukeBoy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Thanks for all the info on the future of the R-class...

Based on all the info out there, it looks like the R-class will continue to be in production, just not for the US Market. (In particular, China has good demand for the R-class.) In any case, the R-class is in dire need of an upgrade/makeover, especially in the interior. It is practically the only car in the lineup with the 90s comand system. The GL is getting the update for next model year. It's also too bad the MB is giving up on the R class here. They are letting cars like the new Infiniti JX get all the marketshare. (BTW, Infiniti is projecting that car to be it's second best seller, second only to the G sedan.)
Mind sharing what exact information you saw?
DukeBoy27 is online now  
Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
  #34  
Cal
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 164
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Originally Posted by gforaker View Post
What are you talking about a 90's Command? Command in the R-Class was updated in 2009 or 2010. Yes, MB is changing the Command now as is every manufacturer, but it is not all that out of date.
Yes, it was updated in 2009 with voice control and all, but it is still very outdated compared to other manufacturers (and other cars in the MB lineup). For starters, the screen is too small and deep down in the console. It doesn't have a knob controller. You have to control it using keys all the way to the right. (Try manually inputing an address vs using a knob controlled one and see what a difference it makes.) I won't even get into the tech details of the nav features (3d maps, resolution, operating speed, functionality, etc) because it will be a lengthy reply. Ipod connection in the glovebox instead of in the center storage compartment?!? Have you tried changing folders in your ipod/iphone while driving?

Needless to say, other manufacturers like BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc have all abandoned this type of system as early as 2002 (a decade ago). They all have either touch-screen, knob controlled, or mouse-like controlled systems, with screens much larger and high above the center console (closer to your line of sight). It pains me to mention this being an R class owner myself, but it is what it is...


Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
Mind sharing what exact information you saw?
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/261479/

The R will continue until at least 2015 for other markets. It didn't mention the US, but it appears from the cryptic messages in this thread that it will no longer be sold in the US after 2012.
Cal is offline  
Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
  #35  
Super Member
 
AsianR350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Warrington, PA
Posts: 690
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Yes, it was updated in 2009 with voice control and all, but it is still very outdated compared to other manufacturers (and other cars in the MB lineup). For starters, the screen is too small and deep down in the console. It doesn't have a knob controller. You have to control it using keys all the way to the right. (Try manually inputing an address vs using a knob controlled one and see what a difference it makes.) I won't even get into the tech details of the nav features (3d maps, resolution, operating speed, functionality, etc) because it will be a lengthy reply. Ipod connection in the glovebox instead of in the center storage compartment?!? Have you tried changing folders in your ipod/iphone while driving?

Needless to say, other manufacturers like BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc have all abandoned this type of system as early as 2002 (a decade ago). They all have either touch-screen, knob controlled, or mouse-like controlled systems, with screens much larger and high above the center console (closer to your line of sight). It pains me to mention this being an R class owner myself, but it is what it is...




http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/261479/

The R will continue until at least 2015 for other markets. It didn't mention the US, but it appears from the cryptic messages in this thread that it will no longer be sold in the US after 2012.
I have to agree w/you on this.
AsianR350 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
  #36  
Super Member
 
W203Ramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 667
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Yes, it was updated in 2009 with voice control and all, but it is still very outdated compared to other manufacturers (and other cars in the MB lineup). For starters, the screen is too small and deep down in the console. It doesn't have a knob controller. You have to control it using keys all the way to the right. (Try manually inputing an address vs using a knob controlled one and see what a difference it makes.) I won't even get into the tech details of the nav features (3d maps, resolution, operating speed, functionality, etc) because it will be a lengthy reply. Ipod connection in the glovebox instead of in the center storage compartment?!? Have you tried changing folders in your ipod/iphone while driving?

Needless to say, other manufacturers like BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc have all abandoned this type of system as early as 2002 (a decade ago). They all have either touch-screen, knob controlled, or mouse-like controlled systems, with screens much larger and high above the center console (closer to your line of sight). It pains me to mention this being an R class owner myself, but it is what it is....
I agree with you but c'mon the r is not that wide..... unless you have short arms. it only take me less than a millisec. to look down or just have the nav on the cluster. if you need that much time to fiddle w/ the system, pull over. I still love the dam thing though....
W203Ramos is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
  #37  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Doylestown, OH
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by W203Ramos View Post
I agree with you but c'mon the r is not that wide..... unless you have short arms. it only take me less than a millisec. to look down or just have the nav on the cluster. if you need that much time to fiddle w/ the system, pull over. I still love the dam thing though....
I agree that it is not that difficult reaching and hitting the buttons. Often this can be faster than a touch screen for some menus. Consumers Reports blasts many touch screen systems as being more difficult to use underway and much more prone to faulty input.

I am disappointed though with the display and readout of the GPS. It shows every interstate exchange as a "Y" turn and often tells me to go to the left lane and then immediately to the far right lane to take an exit. It can be quite unsafe to quickly cross over several lanes of traffic. It doesn't know how to tell me to go straight. Garmin will actually show an accurate display of an intersection. It helps to have a basic idea of where you are going and to keep an eye on road signs.

I still think the 90's remark was not accurate or fair even though the current Command was designed in 2008. I am very happy with the new one when I hear you guys talk about cradles for the phone. The new bluetooth works well and I never have to take my phone out of my pocket or my wife remove her phone from her purse.
gforaker is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
  #38  
Cal
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 164
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Originally Posted by W203Ramos View Post
I agree with you but c'mon the r is not that wide..... unless you have short arms. it only take me less than a millisec. to look down or just have the nav on the cluster. if you need that much time to fiddle w/ the system, pull over. I still love the dam thing though....
Never said the R was wide. Neither did I say the COMAND system in the R is impossible to deal and live with. (After all, I did buy one recently even knowing all of its tech shortcomings.) I love the car just like you do, but I won't claim it is perfect without any shortcomings. Short of a minivan, there are few cars/SUVs/CUVs that offer the space, comfort, luxury, and flexibility of 6/7 seats like the R does, especially with the very flexible 2nd row. Having said this, my points still stand:

- It is more inconvenient to look down at the nav screen in the R than it is to look at a nav screen on top of the dash (like all other MBs with the updated systems or any BMW, Lexus, etc).
- Controlling the nav system, radio, system controls, telephone, etc. is MUCH easier to do via a knob right in front of your armrest than it is via buttons you have to reach for like in the R.

The iphone/ipod connection in the glovebox is also inconvenient. It should be under the armrest like all other MBs. Have you ever tried to change folders while playing music? The system doesn't even allow for audio over bluetooth, which would make it possible for you to have the ipod/iphone nearby and change folders without having to reach for the glovebox. Even if one had monkey arms wouldn't make this more convenient. If the COMAND system in the R was so good and convenient, why did MB update the system on all its other cars to a knob driven one, with the screen on top of the dash like the rest of the luxury automakers?

BTW, there is a cool option called Heads Up Display that takes this "nav screen on top of dash" concept even further to make it even more convenient to a driver. BMW has it on most of its cars. Would have been nice on our MBs, but I guarantee this will make it to all MB cars in the near future (even on the C, R, ML, GL, etc).

Cal is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
  #39  
Super Member
 
AsianR350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Warrington, PA
Posts: 690
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Never said the R was wide. Neither did I say the COMAND system in the R is impossible to deal and live with. (After all, I did buy one recently even knowing all of its tech shortcomings.) I love the car just like you do, but I won't claim it is perfect without any shortcomings. Short of a minivan, there are few cars/SUVs/CUVs that offer the space, comfort, luxury, and flexibility of 6/7 seats like the R does, especially with the very flexible 2nd row. Having said this, my points still stand:

- It is more inconvenient to look down at the nav screen in the R than it is to look at a nav screen on top of the dash (like all other MBs with the updated systems or any BMW, Lexus, etc).
- Controlling the nav system, radio, system controls, telephone, etc. is MUCH easier to do via a knob right in front of your armrest than it is via buttons you have to reach for like in the R.

The iphone/ipod connection in the glovebox is also inconvenient. It should be under the armrest like all other MBs. Have you ever tried to change folders while playing music? The system doesn't even allow for audio over bluetooth, which would make it possible for you to have the ipod/iphone nearby and change folders without having to reach for the glovebox. Even if one had monkey arms wouldn't make this more convenient. If the COMAND system in the R was so good and convenient, why did MB update the system on all its other cars to a knob driven one, with the screen on top of the dash like the rest of the luxury automakers?

BTW, there is a cool option called Heads Up Display that takes this "nav screen on top of dash" concept even further to make it even more convenient to a driver. BMW has it on most of its cars. Would have been nice on our MBs, but I guarantee this will make it to all MB cars in the near future (even on the C, R, ML, GL, etc).


Nice.

HUD was invented in the 90's and have been used in U.S. military jets.
AsianR350 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
  #40  
Cal
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 164
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Originally Posted by AsianR350 View Post
Nice.

HUD was invented in the 90's and have been used in U.S. military jets.
Didn't know that. Thanks for info. I guess it is not really new technology then. It is only that it is just making it's way into automobiles.
Cal is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM
  #41  
Super Member
 
AsianR350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Warrington, PA
Posts: 690
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Didn't know that. Thanks for info. I guess it is not really new technology then. It is only that it is just making it's way into automobiles.
Yes, It is just a projector and a couple of devices.
AsianR350 is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
  #42  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 1,265
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
From Wikipedia:

General Motors began using head-up displays in 1988 with the first color display appearing in 1998 on the Corvette C5. Toyota, for domestic market only, in 1991 released this system in Toyota Crown Majesta. In 2003, BMW became the first European manufacturer to offer HUDs. The displays are becoming increasingly available in production cars, and usually offer speedometer, tachometer, and navigation system displays. Night vision information is also displayed via HUD on certain General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
avlis is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
  #43  
Member
 
mhass350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
We bought our 2010 R new in June 2010 right before the redesign so we got a hell of a deal - if I recall sticker was near $58k, paid $45k.

We love it. 21-months & 23,000-miles later we have had no real issues. We had wind buffeting going on when the rear windows were doen, they were acting like reeds so we had them replaced and we just noticed that the door handles are fading in color very quickly - our R is Palladium Silver. But no issues concerning safety or reliability.

We liked the exterior styling of the 2011's but since the interior was virtually identical we went for the better deal. I imagine when the R is refreshed it will get the interior treatment the M-class received - making it very tempting to pass up.

Most automakers are moving the nav systems closer to the eye level/field of view of the driver as it is safer. HUD is certainly better but a nav screen up on the dash is better than in the middle of the center console.


Now, to hijack the thread a little bit.... the wife and I have a dilemma.

Our R has captains chairs and we have a 6-yr old, 1-yr old and we are expecting our 3rd child in early August. As it stands our 6-yr old will climb through the middle (i'll remove the armrests to allow for more room) to get to the back to sit BUT there is not enough room behind or next to that third row seat for the double stroller we just bought. If you factor in any type of sports gear for my son, groceries or even our pack-n-play we will be out of space. I do not want to get a roof container for everyday use - vacation is one thing. Also, with this setup our son will have to crawl underneath the newborns car seat or squeeze by the 1-yr olds which will be forward facing at that time and I am sure it would get old, and it would make for a difficult time when the wife tries to drop him off at school. She'd have to get out to open the door which is not ideal.

So, do we...

- Switch to an R with 7 passenger seating. Concerns: will two car seats and a booster will go across the middle row? What about cargo volume for vacations and such behind those seats? Will it be enough through the years? Our son will still have to pass by the seats.

- Move to a differnt SUV* - GM lineup (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade) - I cringe when I think of owning a Chevy. The vehicle is larger, yet has less mpg. It offers many of the same ammenities - no pano roof though (favorite feature of the R), and will allow our family to grow into it for years to come. More space between front seat and car seat.

- minivan... enough said.

*Obviously there are other 7-8 passenger SUVs; Durango, Explorer, Pilot, even Mercedes GL (which doesn't offer anymore room than the R, has a more harsh ride, worse MPGs and no pano-roof) but none offer the same interior space as the GM lineup.

Sorry to mildly hi-jack the thread and I hope it doesn't derail it, my advanced apologies if it does.

I guess in short, we are considering another R-class. We love it, my buddies call it the spaceship, but we just aren't sure it will meet the needs of our growing family.
mhass350 is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  #44  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Doylestown, OH
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
My kids are grown now, but I remember all of the gear you need to travel with. I'd really say that you need a minivan. I came to the R350 from a minivan only a little over a year ago. Trust me, they are probably much better than you realize. Load some of them up with options and you will have comfort, luxury, and ROOM. The only thing you will lack is the panache of the Benz. Along with, of course, the handling and precision.

Maybe sell the Mustang and keep the Mercedes?
gforaker is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
  #45  
Member
 
mhass350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Originally Posted by gforaker View Post
My kids are grown now, but I remember all of the gear you need to travel with. I'd really say that you need a minivan. I came to the R350 from a minivan only a little over a year ago. Trust me, they are probably much better than you realize. Load some of them up with options and you will have comfort, luxury, and ROOM. The only thing you will lack is the panache of the Benz. Along with, of course, the handling and precision.

Maybe sell the Mustang and keep the Mercedes?
I'd actually be OK with a minivan but the wife refuses.

Not sure selling my Mustang would solve any of our R350 space problems. Besides I've had the Mustang since I was 16 (now 30) so I have no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon - worth more to me on a sentimental level than financial

sorry... lets get back on topic!
mhass350 is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
  #46  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 766
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
yes we minivan is bigger inside and with a bit more storage space behind the 3rd seat. But the 3rd seats in todays minivans are smaller than they use to be to make the outside look sleaker. Most other 7passenger suvs also have smallish rear seats and little cargo room. Its just too bad that it is going away here. maybe still in canada.. Its a great compromise if you dont want a huge suv or minivan.
efzauner is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM
  #47  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Doylestown, OH
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
It was interesting for me to find out that the Mercedes overall length was just about identical to my previous 2002 Chrysler T&C. The van was much taller and seats were more upright giving more storage.

My guess is that within a year after the arrival of your child, your wife might become a bit more practical. 3 children under 10 years old will put her into survival mode. Take a look at the Town & Country Limited version. It is far more luxurious than the vans you may have seen. Similar for the top line of Honda. I'm not a fan of Toyota.
gforaker is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
  #48  
Cal
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 164
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Originally Posted by mhass350 View Post
- Switch to an R with 7 passenger seating. Concerns: will two car seats and a booster will go across the middle row? What about cargo volume for vacations and such behind those seats? Will it be enough through the years? Our son will still have to pass by the seats.
To answer your other question, YES, two car seats and a booster will fit in the middle seat. I'm in the same situation as you and tested this many times before deciding on the R. Of course, this also depends on what car seats and booster(s) you select, but as long as they are not the real bulky ones, they should fit, if in a pinch. Luggage room behind the 2nd row should be ample, but still not minivan level. One of the main advantages of the minivan is that the spare tire is not in the back, so the spare tire of the R takes up a lot of valuable space (as does the dual exhaust system). Imagine removing the cover in the back, taking out the spare, and you'll have more room closer to minivan levels. Nevertheless, the minivan is the way to go though for all out practicality in your current situation, but the R might just work for you too.

I agree with gforaker and would also check out the T&C. Best bang for the buck, 100K powertrain warranty, etc.
Cal is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 AM
  #49  
Super Member
 
W203Ramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 667
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Originally Posted by mhass350 View Post

Now, to hijack the thread a little bit.... the wife and I have a dilemma.

Our R has captains chairs and we have a 6-yr old, 1-yr old and we are expecting our 3rd child in early August. As it stands our 6-yr old will climb through the middle (i'll remove the armrests to allow for more room) to get to the back to sit BUT there is not enough room behind or next to that third row seat for the double stroller we just bought. If you factor in any type of sports gear for my son, groceries or even our pack-n-play we will be out of space. I do not want to get a roof container for everyday use - vacation is one thing. ............So, do we...

- Switch to an R with 7 passenger seating. .........
- Move to a differnt SUV* - GM lineup (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade) - I cringe when I think of owning a Chevy. The vehicle is larger, yet has less mpg. It offers many of the same ammenities - no pano roof though (favorite feature of the R), and will allow our family to grow into it for years to come. More space between front seat and car seat.

- minivan... enough said.

*Obviously there are other 7-8 passenger SUVs; Durango, Explorer, Pilot, even Mercedes GL (which doesn't offer anymore room than the R, has a more harsh ride, worse MPGs and no pano-roof) but none offer the same interior space as the GM lineup.

Sorry to mildly hi-jack the thread and I hope it doesn't derail it, my advanced apologies if it does.

I guess in short, we are considering another R-class. We love it, my buddies call it the spaceship, but we just aren't sure it will meet the needs of our growing family.
I have 3 1/2 year old twins and a 10 mo. old. I did consider the town and country but I made it work instead....you can do the all across the middle row if you like but i dont think it would be safe for whoever is in the center. In my case, I have 2 britax seats in the 3rd row for the twins and then i have the baby seat just behind me. And for the stroller the sit and stand or the dual mclaren fits fine even with the seats up. then you would still have 2 empty seats in the middle row. and for trips I bought the mb rack and a cargo box from craigs list. IMHO i think it looks good on the R. here's a couple of pics w/ and w/o cargo box
Attached Thumbnails After owning an R Class would you ever consider buying another?-045.jpg   After owning an R Class would you ever consider buying another?-033.jpg  

Last edited by W203Ramos; 03-09-2012 at 12:25 AM.
W203Ramos is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
  #50  
Junior Member
 
OldMBGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 4matic Wagon
mhassy350,

We were fine in the 6 passenger R-class, even with 4 young ones, but sold it anyway because it was too unreliable to safely haul the children. You don't have to remove the armrests, kids can slide by easily, though it will be a challenge getting in when your eldest has 2 rear facing convertibles to get by. The secret to having plenty of cargo space is to ditch the stroller. They're a major PITA, waste tons of time and space, and are bad for developing children anyway. Get a sling or backpack (or both) and carry the kids instead; better for them and more convenient for you. This will be a little difficult for about 3-6 months with a both a two year old and an infant, but all in all it'll be less difficult than the hassle of lugging a stroller around.
OldMBGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: After owning an R Class would you ever consider buying another?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: