This Forum is Depressing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
This Forum is Depressing

Ours: 2007 R320 CDI 4Matic, white/macadamia (or one of those nuts), bought used exactly one year ago with 65k miles... now 77k+. Don't remember what Package, but it has the Pano... no GPS, no camera, no parktronic... typical lease turn-in.

Other than tires, brakes, filters and other usual stuff for this age/mileage; replaced transmission (shift) module, cv boot, small fuel hose at the engine. Didn't buy extended warranty, taking a chance. Dealer is a dumb crock o'poop, with a gun. But we found a great indy... I don't do my own car repairs anymore.

We really like our R, and hope it stays together, based on what I keep seeing in this forum. It's used as daily driver, mostly short trips and works well for that. But on the highway you know you're in a limo...with torque to make it fun. Have to watch speedo or you find yourself 20-over real easy. Took it on a 2,500 mile trip last summer, from FL to OH. I drove it 13 hours straight the first day, and I felt great when we finally stopped. The mountains were especially fun. 2.5 tons, but you wouldn't believe it. Only complaint, and it's not a fault, per se: I can't keep the outside air flowing when the a/c is on, to keep my cigar smoke going out the window; keeps switching to recirc, dang it!

So, I don't visit this forum much, because it seems like it's filled mostly with people who've had problems. Except for a few guys like AsianR350 who does mods and loves his car, this place depresses me! I have to go to the Unofficial Pic Thread to feel the love.
I wonder if there are a whole lotta people who drive R's and don't have problems, and don't visit forums.

Oh, the R is wifey's, and she loves it (but wants a backup camera). My daily is an 04 CLK500 that satisfies my childish urge for faast just fine. But I still like driving the R for groceries or other 'truck' needs.
May your problems be little ones and get resolved easy and quick, and cheap. MBWorld rocks, though!
:-Jerry
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jerryswfl
to keep my cigar smoke going out the window

LOL!!!

just keep going in the CLK forum, we love our cars there!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Jerry,

Glad to hear your wife and you enjoy the R.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Banned

/
Originally Posted by AsianR350
Jerry,

Glad to hear your wife and you enjoy the R.
Oh heck yes we do! Not too many in this town of MBZ, so it can be considered 'unusual looking'. I see people looking at it a lot. In fact, a friend of the wife wants to get one just like it, and she's looking.

Wife just told me last summer's trip was more like 3,300 miles... (I'm old, I forget details.) I drove the entire trip, 5 days, and I loved it.

Having trouble keeping the outer cv boot clamp on, thanks to one stupid indy and the dealer, but my new indy just worked on it, and cleaned the grease up that was all over the wheel, tire, undercarriage, then did a minor underbody inspection (found possible leaking transfer case)... and then refused to accept payment. Of course, he's worked on the CLK already and knows I'm sending business his way, so he's being smart. Joe at European Motors, if you're close to Naples... great guy, has all the MB and BMW diagnostic stuff, nice shop, etc. (Hope I'm allowed to give him these kudos).

In summation, the R really is no more trouble than our '98 Dodge Grand Caravan was (128,000 miles), it is just a lot more sophisticated and the parts can (will) cost more. But I wouldn't have been nearly as comfortable on a 3,300 mile trip, for sure! And, I like looking at it!

Jerry
Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
In summation, the R really is no more trouble than our '98 Dodge Grand Caravan was (128,000 miles)...
^^^^This is the problem in a nutshell.^^^^

That anyone would describe a Mercedes-Benz in that manner should be shameful to the execs at DBAG HQ. For $60k I expected my R-class to be (like my older MBs) much LESS trouble than a Dodge. Used to be that when you bought a Mercedes you were paying for impeccable engineering quality. Yeah, they have always been more expensive to maintain, but they were reliable if properly maintained, and built to last forever. I have had older MB's with over 250k miles on them that had accumulated fewer squeaks, rattles, broken bits and failures than my R-class had in it's first year and 18k.

Other manufacturers have caught up with and surpassed MB in just about every area: safety, ride quality, build quality, engineering quality, reliability, and even longevity. So what's the star stand for anymore? I neither need nor want to pay the premium they ask just for the "status" of driving an MB. Like many companies that have drowned to a siren song of brand consultants pushing image over substance, DBAG has forgotten it's roots and is losing at least this long-term customer as a result.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by OldMBGuy
^^^^This is the problem in a nutshell.^^^^

That anyone would describe a Mercedes-Benz in that manner should be shameful to the execs at DBAG HQ. For $60k I expected my R-class to be (like my older MBs) much LESS trouble than a Dodge.
This is, indeed, the problem in a nutshell.

Mercedes is building CUTTING EDGE cars and problems should be expected.

The Dodge, on the other hand is iron left over from the last century. If you want iron, fine, and it won't even cost as much.

Anyone expecting refrigerator-like reliability from MB or BMW simply doesn't understand the market these cars are designed for. I think the most useful analogy is that these cars are closer to being Ferraris than they are to being Camrys.

Generally speaking, the do-nothing cars are usually the cars not worth doing anything for.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM

clk 350, Maserati GT, Porsche Cayman
Sorry, but had to Google the "R" class.....not bad, as it is purposed designed.

As to the poor reliability of MB, I would agree completely. Over the years have owned several S classes, a couple of E's, and now the little CLK. All were over-embelished with useless fluff, and critical parts sub-optimally engineered. It seemed to worsen with time as well. Actually promised to never have another one until my daughter just loved the CLK.....

The funny part is the wife's Maserati Gran Turismo is more reliable than the MB......I can think of few worse insults, but it is true.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
^^^^ And this guy is saying that his MASERATI is more reliable ^^^

Originally Posted by lkchris
Anyone expecting refrigerator-like reliability from MB or BMW simply doesn't understand the market these cars are designed for. I think the most useful analogy is that these cars are closer to being Ferraris than they are to being Camrys.

Generally speaking, the do-nothing cars are usually the cars not worth doing anything for.
I would guess that you're fairly new to the brand. Benz has been building cutting edge cars... well pretty much since the first one (first car that is). Some of us OldMBFolk get our undies in a wad because back in the day, DBAG could do cutting edge and "refigerator like reliability," and that's why we paid up for them. Unfortunately I'm failing to see why I should do so now.

If I wanted a Ferrari, I'd buy a Ferrari. I prefer Porsche for my sports cars though because they have "refrigerator like reliability" too, just like their fellow Stuttgarters at DBAG used to.

Last edited by OldMBGuy; 02-19-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
I love my R350 because of the extended warranty! If it was not for that It would not be so nice...

It is an amazing car. It is my wife's DD but I enjoy taking it when she does not have it

I own 10 cars and we ALWAYS take the R350 on road trips, unless we got large items to haul or tow, we take my #1 joy, my truck.

Last edited by smokersteve; 02-20-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
So, I don't visit this forum much, because it seems like it's filled mostly with people who've had problems.

Same here. I would be on here if there was more available info on these cars, for mods, maintenance, upgrades........ There is not much....
Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 PM

2011 R350 BlueTec
My car is great and I can't say enough good about it. This is my 2nd one and I've had no issues. BUT - I follow the maintenance guidelines and don't try to find something that works "just as good".

Besides being depressed - we shouldn't fight each other as we're all on the same team.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
Jerry,

It is always true that online forums like this more represented by people with complaints, this is true no matter what brand or model you would pick. The people with problems speak up and seek answers. That does not mean that they are wrong, though. The R class seems to have a higher problem rate than expected, especially for the first few years. But do keep in mind that the posters here are not especially representative of all owners and this is true for all car forums.

Hey! Don't knock Dodge. The car which proceeded my R350 was a 2002 Chrysler T&C Limited. I drove it 180k miles with very few problems. When I sold it last year it was still tight and had no rattles at all and drove like new. It was the most trouble free car I ever owned. I did have to rebuild the transmission at 160k and it cost $2000 which would have been over $7000 on the Merc. Therein lies the problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM

2002 E320 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by gforaker
Hey! Don't knock Dodge. The car which proceeded my R350 was a 2002 Chrysler T&C Limited. I drove it 180k miles with very few problems. When I sold it last year it was still tight and had no rattles at all and drove like new. It was the most trouble free car I ever owned. I did have to rebuild the transmission at 160k and it cost $2000 which would have been over $7000 on the Merc. Therein lies the problem.
Definitely not knocking Dodge, but rather knocking DBAG for falling so for behind the curve that Dodge (a company that they formerly owned) is building more reliable cars!

Hand the Stuttgarters a fife and drum to play "The World Turned Upside Down."
Old 02-22-2012, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
...knocking DBAG for falling so for behind the curve
DBAG. Priceless!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

/
Originally Posted by gforaker
Jerry,

It is always true that online forums like this more represented by people with complaints, this is true no matter what brand or model you would pick. The people with problems speak up and seek answers. That does not mean that they are wrong, though. The R class seems to have a higher problem rate than expected, especially for the first few years. But do keep in mind that the posters here are not especially representative of all owners and this is true for all car forums.
I do understand the rational, and didn't mean to say that anyone was wrong for posting their issues with the R. I'm in the W209 forum several times a week because there's more about modding, and it's fun to read. Whereas there's not as much to mod on an R.
So I guess the ratio of satisfaction could be the same in both forums, but it's more heavily weighted to mods in the 209 forum. I really do like the R. And, depressing as it may be, reading of others' issues has actually been helpful. But then I wonder when mine will 'do that'.
Informed is better than head in the sand!
It's actually in the indy shop right now for turbo oil leak, transfer case leak, failing belt tensioner... what am I forgetting...?
Peace!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 AMG GLE 63S
Love our GL, but many a road trip I miss the R and it's manners. Wife likes riding up high in the GL. Lots of positive memories of driving the R and seeing people looking at it; mostly trying to figure out what it was (at least out of the city). In the Detroit area there were incredible values when the Germans were in town (employee discount for all!!)

Only wish MB would sell the short wheel base version in the states.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW 340i xDrive 2018 MMPSK silver , Cadillac XT5 2018 silver, 09 R320 BT
We've had our MY09 R320 from new since Nov. 2008. It's had some issues like the heating stopping 2 weeks into the lease. Scary moment when it's freezing outside and you can't defrost the windows to drive back to the dealership. We've had the passenger-side mirror (actual mirror part only) unglue from it's base, had to adjust the rear latch and had a bad wiper 1 month into the lease. The rest has been all good. We've been twice to Myrtle Beach, SC and once to Florida. These are long hauls from Montreal. The driving experience is fantastic for a vehicle of it's size and super comfortable. The Mrs hated it the first week we got it, now she doesn't want to part with it and I had to buy the vehicle since the lease is up. I did get the extended warranty. Didn't want to chance it. The wife always loved the pewter color which is no longer available. She plans on taking good care of it and keeping it for at least another 3 years. We're at ~78000 Km. The fuel consumption for a vehicle this size is amazing. Even if I drive like Miss Daisy, I can't get anything close to the R's mileage with my Subaru STI which weighs half as much. As far as modding is concerned, there's nothing I'd want to alter, maybe getting some nice wheels for the summer, but I love the look of the car as is. It has the AMG factory kit and the Pano roof is amazing. Would we buy another one? Damn right we would! This is an amazing vehicle. It has it all. It performs and handles very well for a vehicle of it's size, it has a distinct look, it is extremely comfortable and has the prestige of wearing the three-pronged star in front. All that for less than a base Porsche Cayenne. We will enjoy this one for at least another 3 years, then we will see.

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Banned

/
Originally Posted by taranch
Sorry for the long post!
And Cheers to you! I remember my dad had defroster issues with his brand new 1956 Mercury. Couldn't figure out how to set the the 4 levers.
OK, now I feel better! I didn't even like the depressing title of my thread, but I got some R-lovers to write. Silly, I know.
Got the R back from the shop and nothing serious. Had a turbo o-ring leaking, causing a bit of hesitation and power loss. Affected it over time. Now it's back, full power. Man, that torque is fun! Like a turbo-whale. I call it the Great White sometimes (big. white. strong.), but wife thinks it hurts the R's feelings. I thought it was a compliment. Ah, hell, I'm old, wadda I know.
Enjoy!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 PM

And Cheers to you! I remember my dad had defroster issues with his brand new 1956 Mercury. Couldn't figure out how to set the the 4 levers.
OK, now I feel better! I didn't even like the depressing title of my thread, but I got some R-lovers to write. Silly, I know.
Got the R back from the shop and nothing serious. Had a turbo o-ring leaking, causing a bit of hesitation and power loss. Affected it over time. Now it's back, full power. Man, that torque is fun! Like a turbo-whale. I call it the Great White sometimes (big. white. strong.), but wife thinks it hurts the R's feelings. I thought it was a compliment. Ah, hell, I'm old, wadda I know.
Enjoy!
Hey Jerry,

Hope the R doesn't have the same fate of the Mercury brand.

Take care
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Banned

/
Originally Posted by taranch
Hey Jerry,

Hope the R doesn't have the same fate of the Mercury brand.

Take care
I know, I know... I said the same thing about the Triumph TR-3, Austin 3000, MG1100... Mercury, not so much, but that 312 Police Interceptor was nice; I can still remember the 4bbl sucking-sound on takeoff!
Time marches on. We figure to keep this R for several years, then we probably won't need a 'wagon' anymore and will go with an E... if they still make those!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM

I know, I know... I said the same thing about the Triumph TR-3, Austin 3000, MG1100... Mercury, not so much, but that 312 Police Interceptor was nice; I can still remember the 4bbl sucking-sound on takeoff!
Time marches on. We figure to keep this R for several years, then we probably won't need a 'wagon' anymore and will go with an E... if they still make those!
Yeah, the E is a sublime sedan.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 PM

R500
back in the day, DBAG could do cutting edge and "refigerator like reliability,"
So true. For the price, one would think the car could be somewhat better-built. Better-quality gasket materials, better-wearing plastics, etc.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
MY '00E--- CPS sensor(traded)
MY '02S--- Electrical Gremlins re: interior lights(traded)
MY '03C--- Smog pump
MY '06ML---brake light plate TSB
MY '08C----ZERO Problems (traded for '08R....had twins that year)
MY '08R---- ZERO Problems (traded in for 2012)
MY '12R---- ZERO Problems......so far.
just my eperience with MB
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

/
Originally Posted by W203Ramos
MY '00E--- CPS sensor(traded)
MY '02S--- Electrical Gremlins re: interior lights(traded)
MY '03C--- Smog pump
MY '06ML---brake light plate TSB
MY '08C----ZERO Problems (traded for '08R....had twins that year)
MY '08R---- ZERO Problems (traded in for 2012)
MY '12R---- ZERO Problems......so far.
just my eperience with MB
Good to hear! Our favorite independent shop recently explained to my wife that the engine was fine after she complained of starting problem. She was at the gas (diesel) station, and after filling up, had some issues, then it ran OK. Joe read the code, informed her that running out of fuel can suck air... She had rolled into that filling station on FUMES! If she reads this, she'll kill me.
I still have to watch the speedo when I drive it. What an enjoyable limo!

Now she wants DRL LEDs 'like the new ones have". So, I'm searching.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Good to hear! Our favorite independent shop recently explained to my wife that the engine was fine after she complained of starting problem. She was at the gas (diesel) station, and after filling up, had some issues, then it ran OK. Joe read the code, informed her that running out of fuel can suck air... She had rolled into that filling station on FUMES! If she reads this, she'll kill me.
I still have to watch the speedo when I drive it. What an enjoyable limo!

Now she wants DRL LEDs 'like the new ones have". So, I'm searching.
Does your R320 have the AMG bumpers? I'm looking into retrofitting the 2009 "Grand Edition" (Europe only) LEDs onto my AMG bumper. OEM is definitely the way to go with LEDs because most aftermarket stuff- especially the generic stuff, looks really cheap and tacky.

http://www.carwallpapers.ru/wp/merce...0x1050-003.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This Forum is Depressing