R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Mtec - Real vs Fake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 w203 Blk/Blk - 06 w251 slv/blk
Mtec - Real vs Fake

Trying to get a set of Mtec hid set for the w251. But worried on paying $250+ for fakes and get "had". Can anyone or everyone post what are the differences and your experience. This thread may also help alot with people in similar situations. Turn this into some what of a buyers guide pros and cons / Real vs Fake. I did find them for $280 shipped from CarLightTrends but not sure whats the deal. Any insight?

PS- I did use the search feature (im not a noob, just dont post) and have been searching for an hour, heading out to work and hope to get advise, looking to order a pair today.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Hard to believe what could be fake vs real

NO (that's zero) manufacturer of lights makes HID "kits." Rather all HID kits are simply a collection of various parts thrown together with the assumption you'll put an HID burner into a light unit not designed for one. The sellers are simply parts collectors with nothing for engineering.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
I actually just installed a generic HID 'kit' from a board sponsor. Kit was only 60 bucks. I got the 7K bulbs and followed 'some' of the install guides.

Not sure if my experience would be shared by all, but in my case, I used the adapters the were on the original H7 bulbs. I put these on my HID bulbs and then installed them into the headlight housing. This was really the trickiest part of the install, as the rest of the process took five minutes.

I also did not use any BOW or bulb out warning capacitor adapters. It wasn't necessary as my dash never indicated any 'low beam out' warnings.

Also, I did not drill into the cover of the headlight housing to route my wires. I was able to just have the wires be secured by the housing cover only. Yes, they do pinch the wires a bit, but not enough to pierce the wire housing (they're silicone btw). I then secured by ballasts against the the metal frame supports towards the front of the car using automotive grade double sided adhesive tape (the red stuff).

My question is, does anyone know what color bulbs work best for the daytime lights? With the 7K HID bulbs currently in place, I really want to try and match the color hue since these daytime lights now look ridiculously yellow in comparison.

Will probably do the foglights next...