R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

155 | Intro + Build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Originally Posted by pacoman
155, you had mentioned changing out the original pedals and replacing them with AMG pedals. Two questions: 1. How are they with daily use? For example, are they grippy enough with just the rubber studs? Does the metal in between the studs get dirty easily? Would you recommend the change now that you've done it? 2. Isn't it true that the AMG pedals only replace the gas and brake pedals but not the emergency brake pedal?
Excellent for daily use though I think it comes down to your footwear choice. If you're wearing leather soles on a rainy day, I guarantee they'll slip (unless someone else chimes in?). I don't wear such fancy shoes so for me it's fine!

The metal between the studs will get dirty eventually, but cleaning them with say WD40 and a rag is a pretty quick and easy exercise.

100% recommend this $100 upgrade to anyone - unless you wear nothing but leather soled shoes in a rainy climate ;-). The one positive that often gets neglected is that the feel is much improved. Feels more solid and substantial. Your pedals are something you always touch so it's a worthy upgrade.

Correct on the e-brake. On my W211 there was one available but on these cars I have yet to find one that exists.

HTH
Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350 4-matic
Smile

Danke.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by pacoman
155, you had mentioned changing out the original pedals and replacing them with AMG pedals. Two questions: 1. How are they with daily use? For example, are they grippy enough with just the rubber studs? Does the metal in between the studs get dirty easily? Would you recommend the change now that you've done it? 2. Isn't it true that the AMG pedals only replace the gas and brake pedals but not the emergency brake pedal?

1. Daily use is fine. No issues with slipping and I live in a rainy climate as well.
It doesn't get too dirty. When I bought my car after 5 years of other owner's use, I took the pedals off and left it in soapy water overnight. Then I cleaned all of the dirt off with a brush and it looks brand new. Now that I got 5 years of crud off, I will clean the pedals more often (on the car) so that it won't have the same light build up. What wears out faster, is the rubber stud but it's not a big deal as you'll get rubber wear with the regular pedals as well. I would recommend it as it looks very nice and sporty.

2. False. I have the aluminum/ studded rubber pedals on all three: gas, brake, and parking brake.

Originally Posted by 155
Awesome, look forward to you getting yours installed. How far out now? Although super expensive and hard to justify at the time once installed it really adds to the driving experience. I like stuff you can feel and in that respect its good value, you're always touching it!

You know i was super happy with it until i came across a used R/ML/GL Brabus wheel that was sitting at the shop. They use really nice leather. The shape doesn't appeal to me but you know how it is, "once you see something nicer...." with that said i'm happy with how my mine turned out. Really aggressive, something that would look at home on a CLK BS. As for the materials once i've used it a bit more it's beginning to soften up and feel nicer.

The longer bolt thing should be relatively easy to sort out. Take out a stock one, add Xmm to the length. In my case, 15mm. But sure there are a few other technicalities to sort out...

Yes, all R's including mine have the air suspension out rear. With the adjustable links you can lower it to your hearts content. I ended up sticking with the ride height in the pics as i'm confident the front springs will lower a bit once settled.

I'm honestly amazed how much better this thing handles with the new wheels and suspension. No more body roll, more confidence in corner entry apex and exit. Goodbye lofty cadillac pogo stick bounce. The pedals and steering wheel are the cherry on top.

For sure man i'm interested in your bumper. Finding a skin without Parktronic is near impossible on these cars. I will need to check with my body man first on filling the holes as I don't want to negate any savings with the additional prep work.

... thanks for the suggestion on the picture orientation but i've already tried that with no success. It's a bit strange I won't lie!

What was the verdict on the rear diffuser? Were you able to get it going? I wish I was able to get on board but $ is tight.
I don't know. It's been over two months now and I'm still looking at another week or two. Maybe try some leather conditioner to moisten up the leather?

It's annoying because H&R says they don't make a 65mm bolt which is what I need to add 20mm to the stock 45mm bolt. H&R only sells a 60mm as their longest. It's just such a hassle to nail down all the details before ordering that it's quite discouraging.

With your lowering links, any issues at all with rear camber/ alignment? I don't want to prematurely wear out my tires.

No verdict on the diffuser. TBH, the R Class modification community is a ghost town so most likely I have to go solo on this one.

OK let me know about the bumper. Will you be running a front plate too? My bumper's already predrilled for the factory front bracket (which I also have). If you want to go plateless, though, the front screw holes for the bracket are sticking outwards a little bit. So if you wanted to shave the holes, the shop will have to spend some time with the plastic as well. But if you run the front plate, obviously the holes will be covered and you don't have to worry about it.

BTW my bumper does have the headlamp washer holes as well. The bottom also has some minor scrapes which the body shop can likely sand right out. (The idiot that delivered my car scrapped it coming off of the truck!)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM

R350
Hey, do you have a part number for the e-brake pedal? that's for clarifying!

Yes visually speaking camber looks to have increased so I'll need to get an alignment. Although the handling is improved significantly I feel I can benefit with additional toe out up front to help with initial turn in so will work that into my specs when I'm at the shop next. I'm no expert but if you lower you have to expect increased tire wear in one form or another... One thing i did notice is that i lost quite a bit of travel in the rear to the point of when i go over a speed bump hard i can bottom out my rear suspension. Honestly it doesn't bother me but something anyone on the fence should consider.

Bumper wise the new plan is to go with the Wald front. I can't help but drool at your sig every time i read one of your posts lol

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
1. Daily use is fine. No issues with slipping and I live in a rainy climate as well.
It doesn't get too dirty. When I bought my car after 5 years of other owner's use, I took the pedals off and left it in soapy water overnight. Then I cleaned all of the dirt off with a brush and it looks brand new. Now that I got 5 years of crud off, I will clean the pedals more often (on the car) so that it won't have the same light build up. What wears out faster, is the rubber stud but it's not a big deal as you'll get rubber wear with the regular pedals as well. I would recommend it as it looks very nice and sporty.

2. False. I have the aluminum/ studded rubber pedals on all three: gas, brake, and parking brake.

I don't know. It's been over two months now and I'm still looking at another week or two. Maybe try some leather conditioner to moisten up the leather?

It's annoying because H&R says they don't make a 65mm bolt which is what I need to add 20mm to the stock 45mm bolt. H&R only sells a 60mm as their longest. It's just such a hassle to nail down all the details before ordering that it's quite discouraging.

With your lowering links, any issues at all with rear camber/ alignment? I don't want to prematurely wear out my tires.

No verdict on the diffuser. TBH, the R Class modification community is a ghost town so most likely I have to go solo on this one.

OK let me know about the bumper. Will you be running a front plate too? My bumper's already predrilled for the factory front bracket (which I also have). If you want to go plateless, though, the front screw holes for the bracket are sticking outwards a little bit. So if you wanted to shave the holes, the shop will have to spend some time with the plastic as well. But if you run the front plate, obviously the holes will be covered and you don't have to worry about it.

BTW my bumper does have the headlamp washer holes as well. The bottom also has some minor scrapes which the body shop can likely sand right out. (The idiot that delivered my car scrapped it coming off of the truck!)

Last edited by 155; 01-02-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Excellent! Can't wait to see the Wald bumper on your car. I'd recommend to order soon as mine took 10 weeks. Although after doing more research after I got mine I think I would've ordered it from a different place as I think they can get a better price and faster shipping (will PM you details).

As for the suspension I can see the bottoming out being an annoying issue. I did star on the rear just to get the front and rear leveled out and it's been nice so far. Going in for an alignment Friday.

Sorry can't find the e brake part number.

Last edited by xxGenericSNxx; 01-02-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM

R350 4-matic
Part number for pedal set from Brabus:
164-816-00
includes e-brake.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 AM

R350
Hey guys, not much to report on with the exception of doing air filters, spark plugs, alignment (omg, much better) and rear spacers.

I got my R back with the valve body update and it DIDN'T work. Apparently this transmission issue is mechanical and specific to the M272 - to make a long story short requires a full transmission rebuild. Between my warranty co and Mercedes Canada they've agreed to cover the work. My car goes in on Thursday and will be out of commish for another few weeks

Here's a really good comparo pre and post spacers...

before

after

A few more

I highly advise these settings

Last edited by 155; 02-11-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liking the hella flush there! Even though your car's out of commission, at least it's being covered under their dime!

BTW do you think you can help me out with this problem?

https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...-location.html

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM

R350
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Liking the hella flush there! Even though your car's out of commission, at least it's being covered under their dime!

BTW do you think you can help me out with this problem?

https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...-location.html

Thanks!
BTW you'll need the 60mm bolts (as you calculated) for 15mm spacers to get enough turns. They only had the 55mm's in stock and managed to get 4 turns so... I need straight on rear shot from a distance, the new stance is pretty impressive!

I'm surprised to see your wheels up for sale? What's the plan?

Let me see what I can do about the rear badge. A vinyl (soft) measuring tape would work best in this case - i'll keep you posted.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 155
BTW you'll need the 60mm bolts (as you calculated) for 15mm spacers to get enough turns. They only had the 55mm's in stock and managed to get 4 turns so... I need straight on rear shot from a distance, the new stance is pretty impressive!

I'm surprised to see your wheels up for sale? What's the plan?

Let me see what I can do about the rear badge. A vinyl (soft) measuring tape would work best in this case - i'll keep you posted.
Thanks 155! Those are the old 19" wheels that I'm selling. I'm keeping the 21s.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 AM

R300L
What a great build! I like the steering wheel alot and can you direct me to the shop you purchased it from?

As for the lowering, looks great! I didn't know all R Classes in America come with the air suspension in the rear. My R300L is all just shocks and springs and I'm having a bit of trouble finding a set of coilovers or aftermarket springs.

Jon
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM

R350
Originally Posted by 7seater
What a great build! I like the steering wheel alot and can you direct me to the shop you purchased it from?

As for the lowering, looks great! I didn't know all R Classes in America come with the air suspension in the rear. My R300L is all just shocks and springs and I'm having a bit of trouble finding a set of coilovers or aftermarket springs.

Jon
Thanks Jon. I bought the steering wheel on eBay from this seller "fanaticalart". I was concerned as he didn't have much feedback but i can tell you i'm happy with the service i got from him. My initial concern of the leather was a non issue as its worn in nicely since. It's not cheap though, I believe i paid somewhere in the neighbourhood of ~$900.

For others interested in where this project is at - i'm mid-way through a transmission rebuild. Mercedes sends all of their transmission rebuilds to Ontario at their main service centre. The last few weeks I've been driving around in a 2012 E350 coupe which is a bad @ss ride!

To finish this project off AMG front/rear bumpers/exhaust tips, Kleemann 93 octane tune, and maybe a pair of iPad kits for the 2 captain seats as we're doing a Disneyland road trip this summer. Done! (for now at least )