R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R350LCDI 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2012 | 08:40 AM

Unhappy R350LCDI 4matic

As usual Mercedes-benz, has their head up their ***. They have discountinued the sale of the R-class. In the past I had thought the "R" out of R-class was for RUBBISH, the diesel was under powered for the size of the body and it was over priced. In fact you could buy its Korea cousin for alot less.

After owning a whole load of American made SUV from MB which I would like to say are very badly made in the USA, I know that from expierience. My
family and me have owned MB for over 40yrs.

I had to give up the previous version of M-class after only driving it for 60000kms because things kept on breaking and I paid more money for a cost cut version of the previous version which was amazing. Which MB did not bother to advise me about. the cost cut everything they could.

I went to the MB dealer and said "after being with you for 40yrs, I want to leave here as a depot vente as they call it here, I want you to sell my entire collection on MB im going off to Audi."

The dealer, gave me an amazing deal on an R-class. The poor car had been sitting on the lot for over a year unsold.

I got the R350LCDI 4matic. I was a little worried as it was the longest car I have ever owned, but it makes me feel important as I now call ahead of time when im vsiting a customer to request a parking bay. Where the old R-class was under powered this one has the new V6 265Hp its amazing. Its been giving a bad rap.

It should have been made into the S-class, with the S-class options. It would could have been made into a cheaper maybach. This R-class is 4x4 its diesel and its so, so, long its could have been an amazing platform, but MB as usual are blind to see what they have got like they cancelled other models which were excellent, because they are too blind to see what they have got.

Here in Switzerland, it also takes ages to get spare parts for the USA made vehicles. Which was the point I brought up when buying the R-class. As usual there is a hidden suprise for me from MB you have stopped selling the car. So what are we to do for spares now?????
My bluetooth is NOT compatible with the lastest phones, iPhone5, S3.
I cannot find cool wheels for it nor can I find body kits for it.

Also before the present president of MB switzerland, I taked freely with him on how to improve the brand, now the President is too afraid to come out from behind his secretary to even answer my e-mails or call.
Old 12-23-2012 | 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Your bluetooth should work fine. I have an 07 and it works with my ip5.

There are body kits for it, if it's the pre facelift 2006-2010. Your choices are limited to Lorinser, Brabus, Carlsson, and Wald though. It's even more limiting if you have AMG bumpers as you can only go with Wald as the former all add on to the stock bumpers.

But if your car is a facelift, yes you're right, no bodykits.
Old 01-25-2013 | 09:31 AM

2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
The R class is still for sale, just not in the USA. It is listed on the Canadian website for 2013 and on some dealer lots. It will continue for sale through out the world for another year atleast from what I have read. But it keeps the older diesel engine for now whereas the new ML has upgraded power.
Mercedes is interested in selling more vehicles, they are not interested in engineering the best anymore, just sales and its working well for them sales are way up. If you want a large vehicle there is not much choice among good products that drive well, most are horrible minivans that are "unsafe at any speed" atleast in North America...
Old 01-25-2013 | 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
2013 will be the last year for Canada. I heard they'll keep producing it through 2015 for the Chinese market though. Don't know if plans have since changed.
Old 01-25-2013 | 03:24 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
Wonder if it would be possible to special order a Canadian or Chinese R for delivery here in the U.S. through 2015?

Import a used Canadian R?

Sucks we got shut off first but I suppose the market spoke and MB had to listen. Perhaps 3 SUV's and a massive Crossover made for a crowded product lineup in this truck crazed market.

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 01-25-2013 at 03:26 PM.