subaru wrx
M350 to R?

Looking to upgrade from the 08 ML350
Fair acceleration
Fair gas mileage

Dislikes:
COMAND system
Uncomfortable seats for long trips

With 2 kids, a 7 seater would be great. Found a 2012 R350 in IL, 5k miles, 54k!
Pricey for what I heard these were going for new with incentives.

Anyways, will keep my eyes open. Are the seats in the R any more comfortable than the 08 ML? Is the 3.5 V6 enough engine for these cars? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Originally Posted by hanyoung
Looking to upgrade from the 08 ML350
Fair acceleration
Fair gas mileage

Dislikes:
COMAND system
Uncomfortable seats for long trips

With 2 kids, a 7 seater would be great. Found a 2012 R350 in IL, 5k miles, 54k!
Pricey for what I heard these were going for new with incentives.

Anyways, will keep my eyes open. Are the seats in the R any more comfortable than the 08 ML? Is the 3.5 V6 enough engine for these cars? Thanks!
The middle row seats are definitely more comfortable in the R. They also recline, slide forward and back, etc. unlike the ML and GL. As for the 3.5 V6, it should be adequate, especially the 2012's which come with the DI 3.5 pumping out 302hp. The R is about 300lbs more than the ML, but if you're considering the 2012 R, the extra 34hp on the R over your 08ML should more than compensate the extra weight.

As for price, I think you should be able to do much better than 54k. However, options matter, so it really depends on original MSRP. What was the MSRP?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 + SLK55 AMG
Nah the weight difference is even more negligible. A base M350 was 4,705 lbs and a base 2012 R350 was 4,960. That's 255 lb difference or about the weight of an average overweight adult U.S. man. Impossible to notice IMHO.

They share essentially the same platform DNA. The same engine. And the same transmission. They even shared the same 3.90 rear axle ratio initially but Mercedes saw fit to drop the R to a taller 3.70 ratio for 2012 as they increased power from 268 to 302. So as for the question of the V6 engine being "adequate", it should feel almost identical to your M350 with a 12.5% increase in HP offset by a 5.5% increase in weight and a 5% taller axle ratio = a negligible 2% difference overall.

Where they differ slightly is drag coefficient, M350 @ 0.34 is slightly more bricklike than an R350 @ 0.31. So maybe the R is a bit more quiet at highway speeds and maybe the power feels a bit better as speeds increase.

I think where you'll really notice the difference is the size. Your M has a 114.7 inch wheelbase vs 126.6 in the R. That's a foot longer.

The track.....
Front M = 64.0 vs R = 65.5 or +1.5 in
Rear = M= 64.1 vs R = 65.3 or +1.2 in

The ride height.....
M = 8.3 vs R = 5.8 or -2.5 in

Turning circle......
M = 37.9 vs R = 40.7 or +2.8 ft

Steering gear......
M = 3.62 turns lock to lock vs R = 3.62, no difference

So, the R is longer, lower, and wider with a much bigger turning circle. You'll notice that in parking lots and parking garages. On the other hand you might notice a better, less choppy ride on the interstate with better stability and less body roll in high speed lane changes.

There's a lot more room inside for people and cargo. And the panoramic glass roof of the R dwarfs the sunroof on the M and really helps eliminate the feeling of claustrophobia for people seated in the 2nd and 3rd rows.

Styling is purely subjective and I like the interior design of the R much better than the M. But everything should feel pretty familiar there.

Rear seat access is quick and easy with the caveat that you need room to swing those giant rear doors open. You might find that an annoyance coming from an M with "normal" rear doors. I haven't found it to be a big deal though. The 2nd row in the R feels pretty much like the first row. And the 3rd row is actually livable for real world adults.

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 02-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:32 PM

subaru wrx
Thank you all for the info. I'd love to sit in one, but it doesn't seem like there are any in my neighborhood. Really informed group here, and I appreciate it. We've got 2 kids, and wondering if we should upgrade from the ML350. We've also been looking at the Sienna XLE, and would like to test drive the 6 or 7-passenger Limited Santa Fe. I know, I know, can't compare Hyundai to MB. So far we've had great look with the MB, and the cost of ownership has been reasonable as I've done all the oil changes / brake flush. Upcoming rotors/pads will be expensive though. I also did change the lights to HID the semi-proper way with a CAN-BUS, quality harness, and bulbs. Too chicken to open up the permaseal headlights. Did make a big difference, for those without Xenon I think it's worthwhile
Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM

2006 r350 & 2005 clk320
FWIW, I traded in the R350 for a 2013 Durango very well loaded 'Crew' trim for $31k (7k off MSRP sticker). It seats 7 with more comfortable seats albeit less legroom, has ALL real leather all around (instead of vinyl mbtech like my R, and best of all a Lifetime Bumper to Bumper factory warranty can be added on for $2200. All the amenities on the inside blow away the R imo and the power/torque is far far better even though same engine size. Only downside is that it does feel much bigger than the R (although same mpg) and feels more like a truck. The Dodge Journey, which feels more like a car, a little smaller, is also a 7 seater and can be had with a high end interior and 27mpg fwy but I opted for the Durango because of the 6000 lb curb weight in order for the vehicle to get full price tax deduction. Seriously, if you're considering a non-Benz , check out the Dodge/jeep vehicles. The only thing I miss about the R so far is how pretty it is and the small chip I have on my shoulder when another Benz owner rolls by. You'll be surprised how comparable the quality is to a Benz but far more reliab imo. I owned a first generation Durango back in 99 and that thing drove and drove never had a single problem with it despite being neglected. FWIW, I still have 1 more Benz so I haven't abandoned the brand just yet

Last edited by bumpersignal; 02-23-2013 at 05:38 PM.