R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Cargo solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2013 | 09:44 AM

2006 e350 wagon
Cargo solutions?

All,

My family and I have been enjoying our R class immensely, and we are set to put some miles on it again as we take our annual summer vacation. My question to you all is, what are the best ways to add to the storage capacity of our vehicles? There are five of us, and the last time we traveled I lowered one of the third row seats and had my son sitting next to luggage for the entire trip. Are there any options besides a roof box (forgive me if that isn't what it's called) that you know of? I'm thinking a trailer hitch mounted device, but are trailer hitches even available for our Rs?

Thanks,

mshii
Old 06-14-2013 | 04:51 PM

2007 R320 4matic / Airmatic
Trailer hitches were an optional accessory. There is also the roof rack / cargo box, which is the way I'm going...
Old 06-14-2013 | 09:49 PM

R500 + SLK55 AMG
I've had (have actually) both a Thule box and a hitch mounted cargo box. Go with a Thule roof box. The hitch mount is just awkward. Awkward to pack. Awkward to drive and park with. Awkward to look at. And it requires wiring in a set of connections like a trailer since it can interfere with your rear lights.

I bought the hitch box only because I sometimes put a canoe on the roof racks and needed to carry all the stuff for the canoe plus all our usual cargo. But for skiing, the beach, normal family vacations, and moving kids back and forth to college, it's the roof box every time.
Old 06-15-2013 | 09:16 PM

2008 R350 4-matic
Buy the largest capacity Thule roof cargo system. It's the 2100, if I remember right. It takes two adults to put it on there but you need the biggest box to make it worth your while and investment.