R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

need feedback on 2011 R blue tech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63s
need feedback on 2011 R blue tech

Hi all, i spend most of my time on this site at the E class AMG forum as I own an E63 but now in need of a new car for the wife. Was looking at the GL but drove one and didnt like it so considering an R class. I found a couple of blue tec 2011's and was hoping to get some feedback from some with first hand experience. The ones I found both have around75-80k mile and within my budget. Both in good shape but beyond that I dont know anything about their reliability and/or knows defects if any. Can anyone share pros/cons on these vehicles? Seems odd that both are priced well below the R350 gas version, is there a reason why? Thanks in advance for any light you could shed.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting the BlueTEC is less than the gas. Not real sure, but would expect the opposite here in Canada as typically diesel fuel is a bit cheaper than regular, whereas I noticed it seemed to be priced above Premium on out recent trip to CO. I really like the diesel for highway driving, although the car does feel a bit heavy and cumbersome in town with minor turbo lag from a stop. Still prefer the diesel to the gas we test drove though.

My 2012 has been essentially trouble free for 25,000 km's (~16K miles). Have had a couple of check engine lights that seem to be a loose fuel cap, and a minor adjustment to a window closure sensor (done during routine service).

The car has been an excellent family hauler, very quiet with a great ride. I appreciate the extra rear seat leg room (seems more than even the GL). One bummer was the cost of winter rims (not easily available in the after market in the R-Class offset); probably not an issue in your area?

'Known issues' I have seen mentioned here include the rear hatch motor, air suspension issues, and rough shifting. I did purchase an extended warranty based on advice here.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
I have a 2011 Blutec and really like it. Great family hauler as well as ski vehicle in winter and tow vehicle in summer. The only issue with mine (75k kms) was a CEL problem which never effected driving but took a while to diagnose. Turned out to be a loose crimp connection which caused a false signal (false ad blue heater failure code). I also bought an MB extended warranty when I purchased, based upon some of the feedback in this and other forums.

I really like driving this car. Fantastic road trip car, handles well (especially after I replaced the OEM Continentals) and good highway mileage for a car of this size and weight. I actually do not mind driving it in the city (but recommend the parking sensors and backup camera). I don't find it cumbersome and think the torque of the diesel does a good job of moving it. Agree though that there are certain situations where turbo lag is an issue. For me, it is not from a stop - but when I am rolling at low speed and suddenly have to punch the throttle. There's a dead spot or hesitation that you need to be aware of. In normal driving I don't really notice it. Apparently some of the tuning chips help eliminate this - but I haven't gone this route, yet.