R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Replacing the cneter console options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500
Replacing the cneter console options

I wrote a thread regarding no sound from my 06 R500 from the various output devices. After doing a little more research, I have been finding multiple cases of people asking the very same question over the last 6 months (1 guy even has a vidieo). So, I am taking that to mean there is a systemic failure on the horizon for the console.

I imagine the consolde is quite expensive from MB and I have been searching for options and have found multiple options that allow a significant amount of increaesd functionality; all I've seen are well under $1K. I'm assuming that others have replaced their consoles with the updated versions that are out there.

Does anyone have experience with differnet units? If so, can you share you experience, the model you bought and any issues you found with it? Would you buy it again? Anythign would be helpful.

Note: I think I have everything but the phone hook up and the rear camera. The wife would be very happy with the phone connection so the new units would solve that.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
If you are "SURE" the comand system is the problem, contact this guy on ebay and he can fix it for you. No need to buy another unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-R-CLASS-NAVIGATION-RADIO-COMAND-WE-REPAIR-YOUR-COMAND-/170958078417?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item27cde541d1
He was the service manager for Alpine (who the manufacturer of our comand system) and he replaced the LCD screen of my comand unit last year for $250. If you search his name on Google, he is also the go-to guy for many of the BMW navigation/audio units. Also, I would ask him about your problem and he should know is it normal or not.

Last edited by supernsx; 08-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500
I don't know for certain its the command center. I am still trying to figure that out. the nav works and she can change radio stations, the center CD works and the 6 cd changer is not avaialbe on the command center. There is not sound coming from the sysetm in any more.

Seems logical is the command centger since the receiver is in the back of it. I figured I would rather replace it with one of the new units that has all the phone, and USB, etc. than spen money on the one that is in there.

The one thing I have learned with the R500 is fixing works best when you replace components. There are very good cars but very touchy.

We have 100K on it now. Warranty transmission control replacement ($2500), Warranty Drive shaft replacement ($3000). Warranty front shock replacement ($2500). Valve cover gasket leak ($500) - leaking again btw. Taillift latch replacement. Rear suspension air bag replacements. Countless rear brakelight bulbs, some steering shaft recall, leaking transmission line (took 1 week to fix this because their book listed the R350 part for the R500 - 3 tries from germany for the part.

This is the first problem with the car since I stopped taking it to the Stealer. Coincidence? I'm in no hurry to take it to them for a diag... maybe another drive axle will be needed or something. The car is off warranty now.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by starbound01
I don't know for certain its the command center. I am still trying to figure that out. the nav works and she can change radio stations, the center CD works and the 6 cd changer is not avaialbe on the command center. There is not sound coming from the sysetm in any more.

Seems logical is the command centger since the receiver is in the back of it. I figured I would rather replace it with one of the new units that has all the phone, and USB, etc. than spen money on the one that is in there.

The one thing I have learned with the R500 is fixing works best when you replace components. There are very good cars but very touchy.

We have 100K on it now. Warranty transmission control replacement ($2500), Warranty Drive shaft replacement ($3000). Warranty front shock replacement ($2500). Valve cover gasket leak ($500) - leaking again btw. Taillift latch replacement. Rear suspension air bag replacements. Countless rear brakelight bulbs, some steering shaft recall, leaking transmission line (took 1 week to fix this because their book listed the R350 part for the R500 - 3 tries from germany for the part.

This is the first problem with the car since I stopped taking it to the Stealer. Coincidence? I'm in no hurry to take it to them for a diag... maybe another drive axle will be needed or something. The car is off warranty now.

May be you should just call the guy I refer you and tell him the sound problem that you are having. Based on my interaction with him, he is pretty upfront. He should be able to point you to the right direction.

Regarding the aftermarket unit, I heard it can be pretty involving. If no one can help you here, check out the ML and GL forums since our comand unit is very similar.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R500
I'm now to the forums, so I hope it's OK I post this here.

We bought a 2006 MB R500 and we have a dilemma over options to upgrade our command.

Currently, as I'm learning, it has an original command unit, with fiber cable, a 6 CD Changer in glove box, and the there is no wiring for plugging in a cell phone, or bluetooth cradle in the centre console.

With that, none of the phone buttons work on the command, or the steering wheel. Also, the navigation is DVD driven and horribly out of date with the maps.

So - In order to make sure my wife doesn't talk on the phone while driving, and drive off the road, something has to be done.

The local shop quoted me (CND - I'm in British Columbia), $1500 to install a MoBridge Most system that will enable bluetooth (and apparently the command phone buttons), and render the DVD Changer a brick.

I think looked on eBay and found a Chinese aftermarket command (Seicane), which sounds good, but I am guessing is a gamble, and apparently also disables the 6 CDChanger, but also the amp, so the until will not drive all 6 Harmon Cardon speakers.

My third though is that if I'm going to spend $1500 just to get the darn phone working, maybe I should buy an aftermarket solution so I can have Apple CarPlay with nice navigation, voice control, etc. I was quoted $1800 to have the Pioneer Avic 6000nex installed.

I'm not sure if there are microphones in the review mirror but I think there are.

So, what I'm really looking for are 2 options:

1) the best way to go (with the right equipment) to have an up to date until that will integrate nicely into the car (i.e.. have the back console speaker jacks still work), have phone dealing and nice navigation, while still using the steering wheel functions and hopefully the existing mic system.

(currently Pioneer AVIC 8000nex seems to be top of mind of me)

or

2) a cost effective way of upgrading the car to enable phone, and secondary, the nav.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to go to get the audio system nicely up to date?

I'd really like to get this done ASAP, as it was promised to her for a XMAS present, and she still answers the phone (illegally) while driving around.