R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R class Advice and info before I purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Wagon and CLK430
R class Advice and info before I purchase?

Sorry for the book in advance. Im bored over seas.
I already own a 2000 CLK430 and a 2006 E350 wagon. I have now owned 3 mercedes (2001 clk55 sold)

So before I jump into getting an R Class 2006-2007 when I return to california from my Afghan deployment, I figured I'd have you owners tell me the ups and downs MAINLY DOWNS on owning one...

With the exception of little lights and stuff on my W208's Ive never had any MAJOR issues with my CLK's that I couldn't fix..

As far as my E350 wagon.. Its been one issue after another. Thankfully I bought a limited 3rd party warranty.

1. Transmission would not go into drive.. stayed in park 2 days after I bought it.(dealer fixed cost free)
2. About a month later something in the transmission wouldn't let the car shift up on fwy so it wouldn't go over 60 mph.(I paid for labor, dealer covered parts)
3. Another month later something broke (common problem according to mercedes) allowing coolant and transmission oil to mix.(dealer fixed)
4. rear compressor went out.(dealer fixed)
5. 2 weeks later both rear bellows went kaput.(I paid parts and labor)
And it keeps going. Ive been in Afghanistan like I mentioned before so my wife has had to deal with these issues..

So I really would like to know what the "common issues" for the R-class are before my wife ends up on the same page if I deploy for a 5th time.. I know every vehicle is different and milage plays a huge deal but from owning mercedes already I know there are lots of common issues with these vehicle. please help and shed the light for me and future buyers.. Thanks in advance fellas.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
First of all, thanks for serving our country.

Balance Shaft issue is the #1 thing you need to pay very close attention to if you want to buy a R-class. Search this or ML (164) forum on "balance shaft" and you should be be able to read about it. Make sure you get a car with the engine out of the balance shaft range.

The other common issues are airmatic suspension, transmission conductor plate, rear light wiring, automatic folding mirror, rear hatch, steering pump, differential and crane sensor.

Other than the conductor plate and crane sensor, the car will run pretty normal with no urgency to get it fixed.

My experience may not be the norm but you can read my thread on the problems my R500 has here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...-warranty.html

If it is all possible, if you have to get a 06-07, I would get a R500. Otherwise, more ideal is to get an 08 and up R350.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
+1 on serving our country - thank you.

i've had 3 MB wagons but W210s and they have been great. I've heard funky things on the W211s...is that the 7 spd transmission - some people have had issues.

as for R, the R500 is not cheap to maintain, but it's wonderful when it's working properly. the airmatic struts will all eventually go, and i've heard the replacements are much better than the older versions. also, there are more electronics and a few things here/there, but overall we're still glad we owned.

p.s. besides super nsx, i think common item also included redoing cv boot/front axel .

PL
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM

E350 Wagon and CLK430
Thanks for replying fellas..

Super NSX- is the 08 model the semi debugged model? I was looking at 06-07 more along the price range being that I will most likely not be selling any of the cars. But if having less issues with the 08 and paying a bit more I may have to go that route if I save in the long run....

BZliteyear- (cool name by the way) I figured as much that it may be a money pit.. I kind of anticipated the suspension issue being that it already went out on my W211. I should have done my research on it. I would have known then what I know now. So if I indeed get the R I will absolutely get the FULL warranty.. is the suspension on the r350 and r500 airmatic all around or just on the R500?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 R320 4matic / Airmatic
Reliability got a little better each year, so get the newest model you can afford.

Regard the air springs as consumables, like tires, and just plan to replace every 50,000-80,000 miles or so. Standard suspension was coils in front and self-leveling air in back. Full 4-wheel airmatic (self-leveling, selectable height and damping) was an option on all R models, depending on year and premium package. Airmatic was much more common earlier, and very rare after 2008.

Oh, and supernsx meant to say "crank sensor" (not crane). When these fail, the car becomes increasingly harder to start when hot. It's a fairly easy fix, and not too expensive. Common failure on a lot of cars.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 AM

E350 Wagon and CLK430
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach
Reliability got a little better each year, so get the newest model you can afford.

Regard the air springs as consumables, like tires, and just plan to replace every 50,000-80,000 miles or so. Standard suspension was coils in front and self-leveling air in back. Full 4-wheel airmatic (self-leveling, selectable height and damping) was an option on all R models, depending on year and premium package. Airmatic was much more common earlier, and very rare after 2008.

Oh, and supernsx meant to say "crank sensor" (not crane). When these fail, the car becomes increasingly harder to start when hot. It's a fairly easy fix, and not too expensive. Common failure on a lot of cars.
Thanks for the input. Ill look into the 2008's as an option too.