R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Removing 6 CD player from glovebox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500
Removing 6 CD player from glovebox

Does anyone know how to remove the 6 CD player unit in the glove box? I can't find any bolts/screws or clips yet.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB R320 CDI
I want to replace the cabin air filter, also not sure how to deal with this 6 CD play.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500
I haven't figured it out and as you can see, no one is offering up any insight yet.

You can replace the cabin filter through the fresh air intake inside the engine compartment. It's not that difficult, just requires a little finesse. The air intake is near the windshield on the passenger side and looks like a heavy black plastic screen about 10-12 inches long

It's held in by 2 heavy metal clips on the back side. They lift up but you will likely need a screwdriver as they have a pretty good amount of pressure. Unhook the clips and that air intake screen just lifts out. You'll see the 2 cabin filters deeper inside. You may also see a black looking tube that sticks out from the outside of the chamber over the top of the filter. (The dealer was kind enough to kinda break it, when they changed filters, so it comes off. It's not supposed to. I have no clue what its for).

There are 2 filters in there. To remove the fist one (closest to the outside of the vehicle)
  • If you have the black tube, you will have to kind of crush the filter in the middle as you remove it. Pull up on the front side so it clears the basket edge while you push down under the tube so it doesn't break the tube as the filter comes out. Small hands help.
  • If you udon;t have the tube, it just lifts out.
Slide the 2nd filter over to the location of the first filter and repeat the above process.

To install you just do eactly the opposite process. If the tube is there, there is no way to install the new filter without bending it. The 2nd one is tougher to get in because of the constraint of the 1st installed filter. It may take you a minute or 2 to gently get it in.

I find back stress from leaning over the car that long to be the biggest inconvenience.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB R320 CDI
Thank you Starbound01.
Very detailed instruction.