R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Do rotors need to be replaced with pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Do rotors need to be replaced with pads?

HI - I'm a newer owner of a used 2010 R350 & I've been told my breaks need to be done along with my scheduled F service. Just about had a heart attack when the price came back from the dealer!! I contacted a reputable non-dealer MB repair shop and was told other information. I wanted to check in to see if what I am being told is correct and safe:

1. Service F at 40K miles
Dealers $1,200 for full service list
Non Dealer - Not everything needs to be replaced or serviced, so they would only do what's needed. Dealers replace everything in the Service F list whether it needs it or not. Cost differential for full Service F work done by dealer or non-dealer is negligible but non-dealer shop says their average F Service is $500 - $600 since they don't replace list items that are still OK.

2. Breaks - former owner had breaks replaced at 20K
Dealer says Pads & Rotors must be done together always & cost $1,100.
Dealers says they replace breaks when they are at 20% & mine are at 15%.
Non-Dealer says Pads & Rotors together would be $582 but since car had new brakes at 20K miles, it may not need new rotors. If only new pads needed, then $150. They also say they don't replace breaks until the idiot light comes on.

Curious if others have replaced pads without rotors and if they've been OK. And if there are issues when refurbished or cheaper rotors are used...?

Thanks so much!!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500
You should get a list of what the dealer would do at Service F. I can;t quite figure out how you cna have 40K miles and be at service F I thought maintenance service windows were around 10-13K miles. At 40K it would be things like replace brake fluid, filters, etc. Do not ignore the brake fulid. Anyway, get the list.

I'm surprised the brakes were replaced at 2K and that you need brakes at 40K. You should be getting 60-80K from the pads (front and rear). It's not recommended to turn rotors because the material is thin for such a heavy vehicle. But the GOOD news is the brakes have a wear indicator. When that indicator contacts the rotor it will send the alarm to the center console. Then you need to replace the brakes. When that happens, replace the rotors. I'd recommend ceramic pad as it gets rid of the dust. However, i am finding the ceramic pads are tough on the rotors. Maybe a better quality rotor would be needed - we'll see net go around.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by lkacker
HI - I'm a newer owner of a used 2010 R350 & I've been told my breaks need to be done along with my scheduled F service. Just about had a heart attack when the price came back from the dealer!! I contacted a reputable non-dealer MB repair shop and was told other information. I wanted to check in to see if what I am being told is correct and safe:

1. Service F at 40K miles
Dealers $1,200 for full service list
Non Dealer - Not everything needs to be replaced or serviced, so they would only do what's needed. Dealers replace everything in the Service F list whether it needs it or not. Cost differential for full Service F work done by dealer or non-dealer is negligible but non-dealer shop says their average F Service is $500 - $600 since they don't replace list items that are still OK.

2. Breaks - former owner had breaks replaced at 20K
Dealer says Pads & Rotors must be done together always & cost $1,100.
Dealers says they replace breaks when they are at 20% & mine are at 15%.
Non-Dealer says Pads & Rotors together would be $582 but since car had new brakes at 20K miles, it may not need new rotors. If only new pads needed, then $150. They also say they don't replace breaks until the idiot light comes on.

Curious if others have replaced pads without rotors and if they've been OK. And if there are issues when refurbished or cheaper rotors are used...?

Thanks so much!!
Welcome to the R-class ownership.

$1200 is a ripoff for 4yr/40K service. You can check the Maintenance schedule here and they are mostly inspection and not replacement:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...&class=R-Class

Just so you know, MB service adviser needs to meet his/her quota every month. They "will" try to sell you items that your car doesn't need.

For the brakes, I would wait until the brake warning light come on. You can replace only the front or rear but I would do both rotors and pads at the same time. You will also need the brake sensors ($10/piece). To save money, parts.com has OEM parts for cheaper price. I think the price including the parts/installation for all four wheels should be around $700. Good luck.

Last edited by supernsx; 05-08-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
There's no guesswork involved in rotor replacement. If the pads are close, it makes sense to change them. At that time, they measure the thickness of the rotors. If they're at the wear limit, they need to be replaced. If not, they don't.

It sounds like the dealer is trying to get you for four rotors? Rears at 40k are pretty hard to believe. Ask them what the wear limit is for front and rear and what your rotors mike. Then tell them you want the old ones when they're done. That will keep them honest. If they say you need new rotors but haven't miked the old ones, find another dealer.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Originally Posted by whoover
There's no guesswork involved in rotor replacement. If the pads are close, it makes sense to change them. At that time, they measure the thickness of the rotors. If they're at the wear limit, they need to be replaced. If not, they don't.

It sounds like the dealer is trying to get you for four rotors? Rears at 40k are pretty hard to believe. Ask them what the wear limit is for front and rear and what your rotors mike. Then tell them you want the old ones when they're done. That will keep them honest. If they say you need new rotors but haven't miked the old ones, find another dealer.
For brakes, no need to go to a dealer. Just find a good independent mechanic. Regarding the OEM R-class rotors, they are pretty soft. Cannot be turn, so the common consent here is to replaced the rotors with the brake pads. My last set of pads + OEM rotors last about 37K miles.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
None
Originally Posted by supernsx
For brakes, no need to go to a dealer. Just find a good independent mechanic. Regarding the OEM R-class rotors, they are pretty soft. Cannot be turn, so the common consent here is to replaced the rotors with the brake pads. My last set of pads + OEM rotors last about 37K miles.
I've heard this time and time again (that these rotors cannot be turned) but I took my rotors to a machine shop after a brake job and they said they were okay to turn. They turned them and now I have time sitting waiting to use on the next brake job.

I am not sure how long they were on the vehicle but I changed them out at 40k miles (i've owned the vehicle since 35k miles).
Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
I got mine at 72K km (about 40Kmiles) and the fronts where just done.
Now at 150K km (about 95K miles) the fronts are still great and the rears will need soon. So you should still be good. I mainly do highway miles though. I you do lots of stop and go city you wont get that many miles out of them