R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Anyone just change the air springs in the front instead of the whole assembly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Anyone just change the air springs in the front instead of the whole assembly?

I noticed arnott has the front air-spring for the front. I'm inclined to go this route, because i doubt that Arnott rebuilds the actual shock absorber that they're selling. Has anyone installed just the front air-spring as opposed to the whole assembly??
Old 05-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500
I've thought about it myself. but the bottom line is the vehicle is very heavy and 50K is about the quality life of a strut. You could maybe get 100K out of them but that is about it. I don't like the idea of the rebuilt either, but a new strut is pretty pricey. I've seem some Bilstein's without the air-spring but I don't know if that is for the spring version or not.

I know I would not purchase the MB version of the strut. The bladder on the Arnott seems to hold up much better than what MB offers.

I was looking at a site for something and ran across a few Bilstein shock options for the R. New Bilsteins were around $500-$600. No clue who made the air-spring for it. I *think* I was using Bing but not sure.

Last edited by starbound01; 05-25-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-30-2014, 07:30 AM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Thanks man i was actually just inquiring about the
Arnott air spring vs. arnott complete assembly (air spring and strut already assembled)

anyway i ended up going with just the air spring, and for whatever reason the strut has a slow leak now. i'm not sure if its a flaw on my end or or arnott's end. i should of just bought the complete assembly.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 PM

W251
Yes

The problem is usually the installation as I had the same slow leak and it took a couple of tries for the shop to fix it. Its better to change the whole assembly as the shop doesn't have to do anything other than install. The cost is about a hundred more than just the bag by itself. The lack of aggravation: priceless

Last edited by 78jm68se; 06-22-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
cars
Do any of you guys happen to have pictures showing the removal and installation of the air springs on the struts? I'm especially curious to see how the bottoms of the air springs are sealed against the strut body...
Or does anyone have a spare airmatic front strut (or rear spring and shock) sitting around that they'd like to get rid of?