looking to buy, need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
looking to buy, need advice

Hi there.
This is my first post on this forum. I come from a very long history of classic volvos & mustangs.
I need a family car, and I am sick of the crap caravans.
I am looking to buy a local R350 2006 with reasonable mileage and good price.
I do ALL mechanical work myself whether A/C, brakes and exhaust, even transmission changes.
I am in my 40s and getting tired of fixing stuff.

What reputation does the R350 wagon have for reliability?

I am not talking about needing brakes, what I want to know is, is the 3.5L 6 cylinder reliable, transmission, diffs, and also how about the engine control electronics?

I realize some europeen car pickiness might exist, but is this car considered a lemon? The reviews on Edmonds are horrible and it is scary.

Let me know please.

Thanks!
Greg Mustang
Montreal - Canada.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
My first word of advise is to spend a few days reading through the threads on here...

Then, do a very thorough background check on the vehicle you are interested in buying...

Then make the decision based on the vehicle and not necessarily Edmonds reviews...

I figured I better reply quick before others jump on here with the "Stay away from the 2006 at all cost" statements..

I have a 2006 R350, with a VIN in the range of engines that are affected by the timing gear issue. Also the year known to have transmission control unit issues.....

But have not had any of them. It was bought with 72k on the clock, now has 100k. My only repairs so far have been to eliminate the rear air bags with coil springs, Mercedes replaced the entire Air Conditioning system due to the compressor self destructing while doing over 70mph on the interstate, and a power steering pump.

Some replacement of wear parts has been required as well. The worse repair bill was the A/C system, but that was only $2,500.00. About the same as it would have cost me if my Chrysler 300 did the same thing at the time. Ours has proven to be a very solid and honest vehicle. A couple words of warning since you are an avid DIY'er.
1) Very, very little information out there on repairs for these. Most users seem to take them to the dealer. I have had luck searching in the M Class realm since the R shares a platform with the M.
2) Don't expect to be able to service the transmission on this beast. Mercedes did a good job of making the 7 speed just about un-serviceable by the average DIYer. It was $490 to get a fluid and filter service at the dealer. I have mine on a 40k service interval. (original owner had it done around 40k, I did it just before 80k, and will do it again at 120k).

My guess is ours has been 20% good luck and 80% diligent maintenance as to why it has been pretty trouble free. I have had none of the engine, transmission, and other issues reported on here.

In fact we had planned to replace her car this year, but she wanted to keep it. Had me get rid of my POS Jeep instead. I was fine with that because her's still drives so nice and really is a pleasure to own...

Now that I said all that it will blow up next week......
Old 05-13-2015, 03:41 PM

R350
Thanks for the info.
Based on what you are telling me,. I am staying away.
Mostly due to lack of online info.
I crave information for DIY, and I NEVER go to dealers.
I guess I got used to that with all the classic volvos I have gone through (best engineered cars ever when it comes to longevity and robustness and simplicity).

I would rather pay a lease of a new merc than buy a used one that turns out a lemon and $$.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:38 AM

Mazda CX-7
I just bought a 2012 R350, and did about 2 weeks worth of research. 40K miles for a tiny bit more than $30K, literally driven by a grandmother.

Short story, stay away from 2006-2007 for sure. The bugs were very, very slowly worked through with these cars. Suspension air springs, cam sensors, there were many issues that dealers collected a lot of money taking care of on these early ones.

I have a fair amount of confidence that my 2012 mill make it to 80-100K without too many issues, but only time will tell.

I would only get from 2010 up.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by MaxGirth
I just bought a 2012 R350, and did about 2 weeks worth of research. 40K miles for a tiny bit more than $30K, literally driven by a grandmother.

Short story, stay away from 2006-2007 for sure. The bugs were very, very slowly worked through with these cars. Suspension air springs, cam sensors, there were many issues that dealers collected a lot of money taking care of on these early ones.

I have a fair amount of confidence that my 2012 mill make it to 80-100K without too many issues, but only time will tell.

I would only get from 2010 up.
Then why has mine been fairly trouble free if the 2006 and 2007 are so bad?

It really drives me nuts all these generalizations. But then again, I paid almost half of what you did for one.... so?????
Old 05-16-2015, 12:00 PM

Mazda CX-7
Sorry to drive you nuts. I was just paraphrasing/summarizing all the posts here I thought. It's good to have dissenting opinion to balance...

I do realize that perception can be skewed here because the nature of forums is to post problems, and not post "my car is running fine, no news here".

That said, the 2006-2007 models I looked at before I bought, 2 out of 3 had sagging corners due to leaking air springs and one had a tailgate motor that didn't work. They were generally kind of used-up. I decided to skip looking at any more and raised my budget to go newer.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 smart fortwo cabrio, 1983 240D, 1982 300SD, 1980 300SD
I spent 8 months looking at R's before buying one, I wanted something with 3 rows and handles. I saw many wrecks for sale even at the dealer with 5k-10k worth of damage/repairs, some vehicles were leased and lead a hard minivan like life. My search was mostly in Montreal, Ottawa has few. The one I got (2008 R320) bought 4 years ago with 105kms, now at 208kms. I have had to replace rear air springs, one rear shock and two wheel bearings, that is it. Some other issues like keyless go tempermental but nothing reliability related or safety. These vehicles are well built, complicated but handle and are great road trippers. I service it entirely myself, and have found some useful info online but not much. I wouldn't dream of owning a minivan, not my existence. The R has been to Florida on a 5 week family vacation, up to Lac St Jean to the end of the navigation coverage, several trips to southern Ontario hauling my double axle trailer. I am so sold on it, it does everything. 8L/100km no problem.
Cons, it is big, it doesn't have a sporty feel when driving, parts are very complex to research and get the correct ones but they are out there. Servicing is a bit unique (air filters!) but easy jobs mostly, having a longitudinal engine is great. Transmission is easy to do fluid and filter just like Audi (fill plug from underneath, temperature related level check). Steering racks seem to be a weak point for leaks from the input shaft seal (part is available, not the whole rack).
I wouldn't hesitate buying one for under $10k so long as it was taken care of. Mine was $30k 4 years ago, had a full dealer history that was thick and thorough one owner (not a lease). Just be picky when looking, good ones are out there.