R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

back suspension higher on one side !!! help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 Bluetec 4matic 2011 and..........hyundai elantra 2016........
you said it ! tons.....and tons.....this thing is madness !!!!!!

besides this, it's a great car but.....without back suspension, it's not going anywhere !!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:55 AM

more on the toppic : yesterday and the day before where hot days, above freezing point at least : and the problem is back again, more then one inch diference between left ( higher ) and right ( lower )....

i'm thinking putting left sensor on right side and vice versa to diagnose a bad sensor ? make sense ??
Old 01-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 R350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by freewheel
more on the toppic : yesterday and the day before where hot days, above freezing point at least : and the problem is back again, ...
To my mind, the issue is inside the valve block. It releases the air when car is parked which supposed to lower suspension. These valves may react differently on the temp changes. There may be some water vapour in the system that locks one of the valves so that side does not drop.

If you connect your car to Star system at MB or any Indie, they have suspension calibration tool. It raises car to max, then lower it to min. Computer calculates the middle and sets the expected height to that position. Then it depends on mechanical parts to have that position as close to ideal as possible.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 R350
Originally Posted by Yu Chem
To my mind, the issue is inside the valve block. It releases the air when car is parked which supposed to lower suspension. These valves may react differently on the temp changes. There may be some water vapour in the system that locks one of the valves so that side does not drop.

If you connect your car to Star system at MB or any Indie, they have suspension calibration tool. It raises car to max, then lower it to min. Computer calculates the middle and sets the expected height to that position. Then it depends on mechanical parts to have that position as close to ideal as possible.
The scenarios and calibration reflects full Air Ride suspension.

The topic here is simply the standard self leveling rear suspension.

It does not need calibration. Uses simple level sensors and simple air control valve block.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 R350 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by josworth
The scenarios and calibration reflects full Air Ride suspension.
I saw them doing it in an Indie shop on my ex 2007 R350 non-airmatic.
I asked them to do it as the ride quality has detiorated since I've bought the car. Once calibrated the car became much more stable on the road much less tramlining.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by Yu Chem
I saw them doing it in an Indie shop on my ex 2007 R350 non-airmatic.
I asked them to do it as the ride quality has detiorated since I've bought the car. Once calibrated the car became much more stable on the road much less tramlining.
I didn't say it COULDN'T be done..

It doesn't NEED to be done... It is just a simple two sensor system with air bag springs....
Old 01-12-2016, 01:13 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by freewheel
more on the toppic : yesterday and the day before where hot days, above freezing point at least : and the problem is back again, more then one inch diference between left ( higher ) and right ( lower )....

i'm thinking putting left sensor on right side and vice versa to diagnose a bad sensor ? make sense ??
99% sure there is a leak somewhere.

Go ahead and do what you think will work.....
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM

SO last update about that weird problem !

car got to an other mecedes dealer ! and they figured one : the valve block was defect, two, the system needed calibraiton, got the car back today, after driving a ford suv for one week, HAPPY to get back into my own car again ! so one thing : never get any repairs done at mercedes blainville in quebec, they are F...... useless !

second, well, i'm happy it's fixed and over !
Old 07-15-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
740iL, R500, Jetta
Mine has been totally erratic since we owned the car. It always seems that one side sticks high, the other side is not deflated. I drive the car around the block a few times and then it is fine again for a few weeks or a month, then the other side is stuck high. I have soap tested, taken off and cleaned the sensors to make sure they are not bound up with mud. replaced the sensors, replaced the control block. Each time I think it is finally working correctly, only for it to fail again....The UPS man just delivered as set of coils springs and mounting hardware, time to go home and work on the car.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:03 PM

2006 R350
Originally Posted by pagesk
Each time I think it is finally working correctly, only for it to fail again....The UPS man just delivered as set of coils springs and mounting hardware, time to go home and work on the car.
Smart move there...