Panorama Roof left front side panel loose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220
Panorama Roof left front side panel loose

Hello R Colleagues,

My 2007 R500 with Panoramic Roof has a long plastic strip (around 4 inches wide) on each side (left and right) of the actual panorama roof. This strip e.g. also houses the roof-rack connection slots.

The front mount of this strip (left side) is loose. I tried to find information in the MB Maintenance DVD on how this strip is mounted/unmounted, but could not find anything.

Any ideas? I can obviously simply put some silicon underneath and glue it down, but I'd love to remove it and see what's going on. It may have started some corrosion e.g..

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Dutch
Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
This strip is held in place by clips.

I uploaded a generic MB Pano Roof Maintenance guide - you can see the clips in the exploded view (item #5). I believe that the base of the clip is mounted to the roof by a bolt and a clip on the panel snaps onto this base. On my car, the driver's side panel sometimes pops up by 1/4 inch - I just press it back in place until I feel it click.

I would not advise gluing the panel in place as it does need to be able to flex and move, as well as be removed for any troubleshooting and maintenance.

You can probably get the clips pretty easily if yours are broken or missing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pano Roof maint guide.pdf (2.14 MB, 923 views)
Old 02-17-2016, 11:47 AM

W220
Hello CederMtn, Dutch here from the Canadian Rocky Mountains (I wonder where your cedars are located :-)

Thank you for your input. Also a big thank you for the pdf. There's more detail there than what I have been able to find (so far) in my Mercedes workshop DVD. Some of that info is there, but nothing on those side liners/guides.

I noticed in my inspection that it is also very important to allow drain water to drain. So silicon would be a bad idea from that perspective as well.

Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to share a picture with the dealer also. If I get useful input I'll add it here.

Have a great day,

Dutch
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 AM

W220
Hello again, CedarMountain. I forgot t ask: Did you actually remove that side strip at any point in time?

If yes, how did you do it? If it is clipped, can I simply and carefully place a wedge underneath it, exert upward pressure and have it loosen itself from the grip of the clip? working from front to back, clip after clip?

If yes, can you then subsequently press iand clip lock it back down into position, or do you nee to replace all the clips?

Why I ask... I love to hear from somebody who unclipped those strips instead f me trying to conclude someting and breaking it... and ... I have observed that the actual panoramic roof no were actually sits flush against those side strips. In other words, rainwater can most definitely get into those underlaying gutters, and if that is the case, I'd love to inspect the drain channels to avoid future issues.

Looking forward to your wisdom. Thanks,

Dutch
Old 02-23-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
Hi Dutch:

No, I've never removed these myself. I had a problem with the pano-roof which was covered under warranty (the gears stripped - they're made of plastic) and part of the reason was that the pano-roof panels were slightly out of alignment so weren't sliding smoothly. After the work was completed, the side trim panels had large, uneven gaps - which they fixed (shop foreman said they popped off the side trim and adjusted the clips. But I didn't see this or try it myself so not sure how easy it is to pop the panels off.

As I said, on my car the front of the driver's side panel will sometimes pop up by 1/4 inch and I just have to press it back. I can feel it pop into the clip. The clips probably need an minor adjustment, I just haven't bothered because the roof is working well, and isn't making any noises either - so leaving it alone.

The .pdf I posted has a photo of a pano roof with the side panels removed - so you can sort of see how the clips are arranged.