Retrofit camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 & R350
Retrofit camera

Hey forum!

I'm thinking of adding a reversing camera to my R (2006).

I've bought a new chrome list (the one used on later model years with the punched out square hole for a camera).

I have a NTG 2.5 fitted already and it has the option to turn on (or off) the reversing camera.

First of all, as I understand it, the NTG 2.5 itself adds the color graphic bars to the video image which means that a camera which doesn't add this by itself is the preferred type, is that correct?

What measurements should I look for (especially the depth) so that it will fit between the chrome list and the body?

Any recommendation on a (good) kit which simply just works and possibly with a wireless transmitter/receiver so I don't have to take off a lot of trim to channel through the cable harness?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
No to the wireless imho...

Hi king!
I'm a fresh recruit into the w251 world myself.... currently overseas for 2 weeks and bought the car 2 days before I left so barely had time to get to know it!
Anyway... I'm in the same boat. .. looking to add reverse camera (even though the car has parktronic) but unlike you I only have the ntg2 unit so no video in options for me I'm currently trying to work out my options to retain oem look as much as possible.
I do know however that I'm going to hardwire this time because my previous hauler, a suburban, I fitted a reverse camera, 4.3"screen and wireless transmitter. It worked fine, but the picture was usually a little static, (not 100% clear as I know a cable will be) and in certain places (outside best buy is almost guaranteed...) the transmission displays nothing because of interference.
As for a camera, I'm currently looking into this. ..
Generic CAR Rear View Reverse CCD HD Camera for Mercedes Benz Smart R300 R350 for Monitor, DVD Stereos, GPS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITJM49Y/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TVJ3wbKQ014FA
But there's no reviews on it so I'm not sure... but the fitment would mean I'm not punching any new holed etc and it'd look oem.
At $26, I'm sure I'll just take the chance once I get back stateside! Now to work out a tidy/hidden when not required place for a small screen...
Old 03-08-2016, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 & R350
Originally Posted by Kingpin!
Hey forum!

I'm thinking of adding a reversing camera to my R (2006).

I've bought a new chrome list (the one used on later model years with the punched out square hole for a camera).

I have a NTG 2.5 fitted already and it has the option to turn on (or off) the reversing camera.

First of all, as I understand it, the NTG 2.5 itself adds the color graphic bars to the video image which means that a camera which doesn't add this by itself is the preferred type, is that correct?

What measurements should I look for (especially the depth) so that it will fit between the chrome list and the body?

Any recommendation on a (good) kit which simply just works and possibly with a wireless transmitter/receiver so I don't have to take off a lot of trim to channel through the cable harness?

Thanks!

I found this camera which looks kind of right; http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...343386764.html but from looking at the installation pictures further down I get a bit worried if my car (2006) has a pre-cut hole in the body underneath the chrome list, can anybody confirm if MB had a pre-cut hole regardless if the chrome list had a hole or not (or if it's really necessary to have that)? Again, I have bought a chrome list which is pre-cut (from a 2008 or 2009 model) but if it fails on that the body must have a hole then I think I'll have to skip the "factory look" and opt for a camera which partly replace one of the number plate lights (which seems easy to find on the Internet).

TIA!