R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Liftgate/Tailgate issue - requesting advice please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R500 and 1995 C280
Liftgate/Tailgate issue - requesting advice please!

I have a 2006 R500 with about 100K on it.

First I must thank this entire community for their help and assistance over the past few years. Although I haven't posted or commented I can say without doubt this forum has provided me priceless information on how to fix numerous things. So thank you everyone!

Now the issue:

Within the past 5 days I have had my tire sensors go crazy, at which point I checked the tire pressure and reset the tire sensors. That appears to have fixed that. Next I noticed that the car was leaning to the passenger side very significantly. After reading and reading on the forums I found the quickest and easiest thing to try was letting all the air out of all 4 shocks and then reconnecting to see if it will level out. Well so far so good, it seems to have fixed that issue.

Then today, I went to the store, opened the liftgate to put groceries in, and thankfully, before I completely let go and knocked myself out, I realized the liftgate was no longer staying open by itself. As of yesterday, it was fine, no problems with it that we have ever noticed, always stayed up by itself.

This is not an automatic liftgate, it is manual. And I would chalk it up to the struts, but it seems kind of odd for both struts to go out all at once that quick.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. But if replying, please reply with as much detail as possible, as I am good with fixing things I am not overly familiar with the R500.

Thanks so much.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
And I would chalk it up to the struts---sounds like good suggestion---what are you waiting for!!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Silver R500; 2007 C230 Sport
R500 Rear Tailgate Part#

I've been trying to locate the correct part number for my wife's R500. It's a 2007 and I've pulled the part and the following is etched into it: A 164 740 03 35. The issue is that I can't locate via any particular site that doesn't revert it to another part or that can verify that it will fit my vehicle. I saw an earlier post that listed the same part but did not see a verification or that it corrected the problem.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Originally Posted by Darren Gomez
I've been trying to locate the correct part number for my wife's R500. It's a 2007 and I've pulled the part and the following is etched into it: A 164 740 03 35. The issue is that I can't locate via any particular site that doesn't revert it to another part or that can verify that it will fit my vehicle. I saw an earlier post that listed the same part but did not see a verification or that it corrected the problem.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
The PN would indicate it comes from the second gen ML series (164). Look up or cross reference that, or take the old one to an auto parts store and should be able to match it up.

Regards,
Jerry