R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

06 R350 headlamp/start failure questions???!!!!

Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R350
06 R350 headlamp/start failure questions???!!!!

Hello All,
New to the site and to MB in general. My neighbor completed a divorce and decided she didn't want her 06 R350 anymore. I'm in the process of two restorations on my own cars (British) and didn't need the R350, but after a test drive my wife liked it and we decided to buy it since the price was too good. I was sure I could fix the small issues it had.

After writing the check and a week or so later I was able to take time and look up the history of the car. As you can imagine I realized I should have blown the money in Vegas instead. The important thing I noticed was people still loved this car for the same reasons we did and put up with the nightmare....little did I know I would join the club really quickly. I'm hoping to explain the current issue and seek advise.

The car has sat in our driveway for a few months while the previous owner works out some paperwork issues and we still don't have title to it. I replaced wipers front, rear arm and wiper, fixed DVD player, replaced dreaded drivers door window button switch assembly, engine belt and all pulleys, (still chirps), oil filter and intake and cabin filters. It still needs tires and brakes but held off until I have the title. Continued starting it couple time a week to keep it alive.

While I was away my wife had a friend start it. He felt it was a low battery and decide to put a charger on the posts under the hood. While it sat charging and not running the passenger low beam headlight came on all by itself. Light switch is off. He got nervous and disconnected the charger but the light stayed on for another hour then went off.

I started the car later in the week and the passenger headlight, low beam, came on and stayed on. No change when using the switch. The next start I received the "Visit Workshop" message and the "Battery" message. I removed the battery cover and surprise the battery area had a pond of water, with the level just below the fuse box connection. Removed the battery and the water, replaced fully charged battery next day.

Turned key and received same messages, but overhead interior lights were bright. At this time I noticed the foot well area lights not on on both sides with drivers door open. I rotated the key hoping to make a difference and it started up. Lights came on in foot well area. Now right front low beam not on, but wait there's more, the drivers hi-beam is on and the high beam switch has no control. I shut it down for the night. Next day my wife called me at work after she got home the drivers hi-beam was on all by itself. And only this light.

Came home, charged the battery disconnected from car, then tried start and received battery message again. No front light with or without switch but still had rears with switch in the on position. My assumption is the charging of the battery through the front post under the hood has ruined a controller, but which one and where??? It has a direct impact on the starting circuit and affects headlamps with supplying power regardless of switch position. If I try the key 5-10 times I can start it but not control the lights with on off switch and hi-beam lever has no affect but does light up blue on the dash.

Question is what unit do you think it is and wear might it be located. I'm fully able to disassemble this entire car and put it back together but finding electrical issues requires equipment I don't have. (Not to mention how thrilled the wife is and we just paid off the new Honda Odessey). This not our main car but I wasn't interested in a lawn display so soon. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kevin
Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R350
No need to reply, figured it all out and repaired car, no longer an issue.

Kevin