R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Anyone any instructions on greasing pano roof gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R320 CDI Sport
Anyone any instructions on greasing pano roof gear

Just bought a 2006 R320 CDI sport with 61k miles. It's growing on me, wife liked it right away. Must say for such a big car it is very easy to drive and really do not notice the size. I drove an ML350 for 6 weeks and really noticed the size of that.

Just want to do a few odd jobs to keep it up to scratch. The pano roof seems a little slow to open and close, especially the internal panel. Does any one have a set of instructions on how to maintain this, and also which lubes to use. Considers silicone spray or grease as a lst resort if I cant find any info.

The only niggle so far is the amount of rattling from the back. I have the 6 seater and run with the rearmost folded down. I guess with the amount of mechanicals used in this setup there will be lots of metal on metal contact. Going to get some foam blocks to hopefully get rid of the noise.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R320 CDI Sport
Just found it here

Can't find Mobil1 synthetic grease in the UK, but ordered this Mobil Mobilith SHC 100 Lithium Complex Synthetic Grease ISO VG 100

Hopefully should be similar.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 / E400 Cab
Hi Jim - did this work for you? My sunroof is starting to make the "machine gun" sound again.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
You can use 3M Silicon paste which is available on Amazon.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/8...08946-8-oz.pdf

For the R's Pano roof, there is a large rubber accordian seal which also needs to be lubricated. The 3M Silicon paste is ideal for this - clear, stain-free and safe for sealing gaskets and o-rings. A little bit goes a long way so the 8 oz jar will likely outlast your car. You can also use this same paste to lubricate o-ring seals for any waterproof case or camera you have - it's also good on window and door seals to prevent creaking and other noises.

It's important to lubricate the roof regularly (at least twice a year). The gears on the motor are plastic and if the roof binds, these gears will wear out and strip. I found this out the hard way.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
that video is for a normal sunroof, not a pano roof. The front track is easy to get to but the rear slides inside those rubber seals.. next to impossible to get to with a brush of grease.
my pano roof was starting to get very slow. I only managed to spray 3m silicon lube with those thin tubes down between the seals.. It worked but I am going to try to get a small syringe with extension tube to get in between..