R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

multi ribbed belt replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
multi ribbed belt replacement

I am thinking its time to replace. It looks ok but i hear some squeaks and I can't find where it has been replaced (not that it has to be listed in maintenance logs) most if not all work was done at the stealership and I have detail print outs. i have 130k on my r350 gas 2008.

It is one long belt and with my experience with mb parts even within the same year make and model I don't want to get the wrong one. I could get oem from mb but I dont see owning this vehicle in a couple of years, so discount is good with me. I see some 150$ and some 30$.

So what should I look for or is there an equipment package that changes something? If not what model or length is needed?

Then in terms if instillation, anything I need to know in advance? Any special tools or allen wrench sizes you cant find that I will need to get it done.

As always thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If the belt look good----forget about it and take the wife or girlfriend out to dinner.

PS: belts don't squeak metal things squeak
Old 02-06-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
08 R350
I think there is a pretty good youtube on belt, tensioner, and roller replacement.
The tensioner is the only tricky part. There are 2 bolts, one is not accessible without rotating and pinning the tensioner. This is easiest to see by examining the new tensioner, which is pinned to keep the spring from unwinding.
I ordered a Gates kit from Rock Auto for 122. I didn't go for the cheapest and Gates has a solid rep.
One a my rollers started squeaking, so I sprayed lube on the suspect and the noise went away.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Plutoe
If the belt look good----forget about it and take the wife or girlfriend out to dinner.

PS: belts don't squeak metal things squeak
I said squeak but really its not. I am not sure the noise isnt normal, but happen from a cold start and reminded me of previous vehicles that needed a new belt. Also if its only $30 I figured its piece of mind.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tru1man
I think there is a pretty good youtube on belt, tensioner, and roller replacement.
The tensioner is the only tricky part. There are 2 bolts, one is not accessible without rotating and pinning the tensioner. This is easiest to see by examining the new tensioner, which is pinned to keep the spring from unwinding.
I ordered a Gates kit from Rock Auto for 122. I didn't go for the cheapest and Gates has a solid rep.
One a my rollers started squeaking, so I sprayed lube on the suspect and the noise went away.
I have just watched the video. Or at least a video. At first I watched it a few days ago but switched off after a few minutes. I since went back and after originally using an engine not like mine he switches and uses one enough like mine that I get the picture.

You say kit, does that mean new tensioner and belt? Is the tensioner needed?

I worried about putting lube or spray on those because of spin and displacement. I guess i could spray and let stand but i would want it to be the right stuff. I have seen people do more harm then good when doing stuff like that. Especially those people that think wd40 works on everything, or anything...
Old 02-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
08 R350
I replaced belt, tensioner, and 2 rollers, because I plan on keeping this new to me vehicle for a good while. On mine it was the upper left roller that was squeaking. Gates kit had it all in 1 box. I didn't see any point in not doing it all, in my case.