R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Water in battery compartment! HOW??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 R320 CDI Bluetec
Water in battery compartment! HOW??? HELP!!!

My 2009 R320 Bluetec has been acting funny the past few days. Now, I'm scared.

My teen son came to me and says "the Mercedes' lights are on and I don't see how to turn them off!" I run outside and notice that only the left side high beams and both taillights are on. Even more wierd, the right rear passenger window is down. I can't turn the lights off. I can't put the rear window up. I can't even crank the car. I get my tools and get to work unhooking the battery. Once I'm into the battery compartment (under the front passenger seat) I notice there's an inch and a half of water accumulated there. I take the battery out and suction the water out with my wet-dry vac. I then take a hair dryer to the wires to dry them out.

Done, right? WRONG! I hook the battery back up and smoke starts billowing from further under the front passenger seat. At the same time, the left rear passenger window comes down! I unhook the battery and here I sit!

Where did that water come from? It could NOT have come in through the window because the back seat and carpet were bone dry. What the hell was burning under the front seat ahead of the battery compartment? What do I do next? I don't even think this thing can be towed! HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails Water in battery compartment! HOW??? HELP!!!-image.jpeg  
Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230k Sedan
Open the hood. Look to your left, right by the firewall on the passenger side. See the plastic grate? Unclip it. Remove the entire plastic piece and unclog the drainhole at the bottom. It overflowed and the water went through the cabin air filter into the passenger footwell.
The following users liked this post:
NatPrimus (07-05-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 01:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 R320 CDI Bluetec
T

Originally Posted by brucewarne
Open the hood. Look to your left, right by the firewall on the passenger side. See the plastic grate? Unclip it. Remove the entire plastic piece and unclog the drainhole at the bottom. It overflowed and the water went through the cabin air filter into the passenger footwell.
Thank you!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320 98 E300
Originally Posted by NatPrimus
Thank you!
I had exactly the same thing happen , confused the hell outta me !!
Anyway dried mine out and it started just fine and all going well except that left rear passenger window won't go up !!

Any ideas ? Do the windows have separate fuses and where the hell are they ?