R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R320 2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320
R320 2006

I just bought an R-Class 320CDi 2006 model and i thought i got a good deal until... I was at the car wash lunchtime and I noticed that the left side was leaning low (dipped lower than the right) and I got a bit worried. Got in the car and drove off and the car seems to level itself back. Since then, i've been fixated on the level - I used the aromatic button (if that's what it's called) but it only seem to do the front suspension.

I am new to this type of airmatic suspension (coming from a BMW 6 series background) but I really want to get to the bottom of this - I need this car badly and want it to work out. I joined this forum to seek advise and pointers. I have read on different post that the air spring is the likely cause as the car is not designed to lean. I also read that there is a lot of guess work that goes on before the problem is resolved - this cost money! Some people even used soapy spray to find leaks etc.

I just want to know where to start on this - i'm keen to know more about the car and do the right things so please help me out here guys. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CL63, 2014 ML63, 2008 ML63, R500, GLK
Strutmasters has a kit to convert to coil overs. I just did mine on the R500. I hate Air suspension simply for the costs

Originally Posted by yinkolous
I just bought an R-Class 320CDi 2006 model and i thought i got a good deal until... I was at the car wash lunchtime and I noticed that the left side was leaning low (dipped lower than the right) and I got a bit worried. Got in the car and drove off and the car seems to level itself back. Since then, i've been fixated on the level - I used the aromatic button (if that's what it's called) but it only seem to do the front suspension.

I am new to this type of airmatic suspension (coming from a BMW 6 series background) but I really want to get to the bottom of this - I need this car badly and want it to work out. I joined this forum to seek advise and pointers. I have read on different post that the air spring is the likely cause as the car is not designed to lean. I also read that there is a lot of guess work that goes on before the problem is resolved - this cost money! Some people even used soapy spray to find leaks etc.

I just want to know where to start on this - i'm keen to know more about the car and do the right things so please help me out here guys. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GL450
You have an airbag leaking. I replaced mine (both sides) with Arnott bags which are high quality aftermarket. $450 total for 2 airbags and it took me about 90 minutes total in my driveway. Highly recommend this solution.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
Totally agree with MarcSebens

Originally Posted by MarcSebens
You have an airbag leaking. I replaced mine (both sides) with Arnott bags which are high quality aftermarket. $450 total for 2 airbags and it took me about 90 minutes total in my driveway. Highly recommend this solution.
My R500 starting loosing air overnight in it's rear right ... one arnotts airbag later ($200 and lifetime warranty btw) and about an hour, everything is perfect again. (you can do it yourself, look on youtube for R class rear airbag replacement videos)

The airmatic IS one of the features of the car i like, i'm willing to put up with the cost of 'maintaining' them, but a word of warning, the rear is much much easier and cheaper to do yourself than the front..

My father in law replaced his airbags to coils on his 04 E500 for about $800... i can understand that... their's is total PITA to do yourself !

All the best

oh... and before i forget, the air compressor for the airbags is another one of those 'will fail' components
Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
and best to replace the airbags asap before the compressor fails from over use... rear airbag failure is not uncommon.. and as the people said. easy to replace.. as are rear shocks. Fronts are harder yes, just as in ANY front strut arrangement. I did a honda odyseey and its lots of work too.