Transmission fluid change and jacking up, splash shield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350
Transmission fluid change and jacking up, splash shield

Hi All,

New member here, first post, thanks for any help in advance.

I'm the third owner of a 2008 R350 4matic. It now has 119k miles, bought it with 73k-ish. I started thinking the transmission fluid needs to be changed. Based on the service manual, it should be done at 35k (if I recall) and then basically never. The '09 and onward models say every 40k. I'd trust the latter recommendation unless something really changed between these model years. For my car, the dealer says the transmission was serviced at 55k, so I think my fluid now has about 65k miles. Any thoughts?

As for the actual change: I'd like to do it myself. There are lots of videos on youtube and DIY's, even FCP Euro has one. There are some differences in whether you have a torque converter drain plug, etc. But my real issue is most of these instructional videos are on smaller cars, and I'm not entirely sure how to raise an R-class and keep it level without a two or four post lift. I don't have access to these (or a pit). I've searched the forums for proper floor-jack jacking points, but there are at least two threads with that question and zero replies (hope this generates more!).

So a few ideas and questions: is it safe to jack on the rear diff? For smaller cars this is the solution, but I wouldn't want to cause damage.
Also there seems to be no jack point under the engine, no little square area with rubber. Someone asked about a spot under the radiator, but no responses.
Barring these points is it safe to lift under the lower control arm (saw that too). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm seeing and SLA type suspension on all four corners, and the lower is the load bearing arm, so it should be okay.
Naturally, I'm thinking of putting jack stands under the actual jack points at the ends of the rocker panels. I've even though of ramps for the rears, set parking brake, chock them, and then jack the fronts under the control arms, put stands under side jack points. (One more solution that nobody talks about: I've seen things called unijacks, bottle jack and jack stand in one package. Not sure if they would even fit under the standard jack points).

Maybe all the above sounds crazy, but then how do people do their own transmission oil change? Doesn't anyone??

Lastly, I have a splash guard under the engine, and two splash guard-like things running parallel to the the rocker panels. But in looking for MB parts I noticed that there is a "center shield" p/n 164-520-12-70. (ex: https://www.mbonlineparts.com/oem-pa...ld-1645201270/ ). Is this meant to cover the transfer case or something? Anyone have this? Or is this center shield more towards the back?
(And I might add that I cannot find a replacement part for the lengthwise running parts, and mine have holes from road debris).

Thanks!