R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R350 Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 07:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
-
Originally Posted by grubster
Thank You! My 06 r500 has Harmon Kardon. Mostly I’m jealous as my new 2108 gle is so high tech wanted to see what I could do. Probably best to leave it alone, figure out how to add Bluetooth and maybe an auxiliary input. I do NOT see any connection in the center arm rest or glove box. Was that optional, or am I blind?
I had an R63 of a similar vintage (COMAND 2.0, without the SD slot on top) and yeah, you have zero options. I would recommend something like the Ownice unit I posted above - the fit was perfect and it worked very well in my car (replaced the COMAND completely, but who cares about it - there’s no car functions on it, just nav).
Old 06-30-2023, 10:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I had an R63 of a similar vintage (COMAND 2.0, without the SD slot on top) and yeah, you have zero options. I would recommend something like the Ownice unit I posted above - the fit was perfect and it worked very well in my car (replaced the COMAND completely, but who cares about it - there’s no car functions on it, just nav).
sorry, wasn’t able to find reference to what u it you actually have. You said “Ownice”. Would you be so kind and post the make / model of what you have or any pictures? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2023, 10:52 PM

-
Originally Posted by grubster
sorry, wasn’t able to find reference to what u it you actually have. You said “Ownice”. Would you be so kind and post the make / model of what you have or any pictures? Thanks!
Oh weird I thought I posted up thread. I’ll look for a pic but meanwhile search on Ali for Ownice, they have a store, then check the R class setup they sell.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350 VG gas 2011
New '11 R350

I might (long story) have bought a 2011 MB R350 gas, HK, rear entertainment system. Looking at options it seems they are all 4G...any updates on the best current system? I don't mind paying, I'm a buy once cry once perspective on this. Under 40k miles, I plan 6-12 years use for it. Interested in rear camera, video cameras front and rear (360 even, i saw here that's an option), everything available. I hope for high quality. Advance thanks.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM

Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by Furioso2112
I might (long story) have bought a 2011 MB R350 gas, HK, rear entertainment system. Looking at options it seems they are all 4G...any updates on the best current system? I don't mind paying, I'm a buy once cry once perspective on this. Under 40k miles, I plan 6-12 years use for it. Interested in rear camera, video cameras front and rear (360 even, i saw here that's an option), everything available. I hope for high quality. Advance thanks.
Look for a 7862 processor headunit on aliexpress with 360 camera option for w251. There will be some DIY you need to do but not too bad if you're okay with wiring, electronics, and drilling holes in your car. With the HK system, you will need an RCA to MOST converter unless you want to rip out the HK amp and put in a custom one (I'm debating doing this, there's a giant empty cavity under the driver's seat where the amp is that can easily fit a 12" sub, 15" with some creativity).

If you keep the HK amp, make sure you turn the volume up to a moderately high volume (about 3/4 is good) before removing the stock radio. The stock radio controls volume through the amp. Leave the volume too low and you won't be able to turn it up loud, too high and you might not be satisfied with the volume steps.
The following users liked this post:
Furioso2112 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 07:07 PM

R350 VG gas 2011
True for all aftermarket?

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Look for a 7862 processor headunit on aliexpress with 360 camera option for w251. There will be some DIY you need to do but not too bad if you're okay with wiring, electronics, and drilling holes in your car. With the HK system, you will need an RCA to MOST converter unless you want to rip out the HK amp and put in a custom one (I'm debating doing this, there's a giant empty cavity under the driver's seat where the amp is that can easily fit a 12" sub, 15" with some creativity).

If you keep the HK amp, make sure you turn the volume up to a moderately high volume (about 3/4 is good) before removing the stock radio. The stock radio controls volume through the amp. Leave the volume too low and you won't be able to turn it up loud, too high and you might not be satisfied with the volume steps.
Thank you for mentioning. Is it true for all afermarket system installations, when tbe HK sysyem is present, that the volume should be turned up to 3/4, or specific to some? I noted that trouble in others' posts, seemed the optic cable workaround solved it? Thanks again
Old 09-10-2023, 07:20 PM

2006 R500
Thank you for mentioning. Is it true for all afermarket system installations, when tbe HK sysyem is present, that the volume should be turned up to 3/4, or specific to some? I noted that trouble in others' posts, seemed the optic cable workaround solved it? Thanks again
All systems with the HK amp will need the volume turned up. It might be best to have both radios side by side and swap between the two until it's at a level you're satisfied with. There is no way around this other than ripping out the HK amp because once again, the volume control for the stock radio is in the amp itself.

Same with the balance and fader controls so make sure to reset those as well. You can still have some balance control through the new head unit but fader control will be entirely lost.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:12 PM

R350 VG gas 2011
All systems with the HK amp will need the volume turned up. It might be best to have both radios side by side and swap between the two until it's at a level you're satisfied with. There is no way around this other than ripping out the HK amp because once again, the volume control for the stock radio is in the amp itself.

Same with the balance and fader controls so make sure to reset those as well. You can still have some balance control through the new head unit but fader control will be entirely lost.
Installing a different amp would retain balance, fader, and full volume control, correct? I believe a couple units were mentioned above.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:21 PM

-
Installing a different amp would retain balance, fader, and full volume control, correct? I believe a couple units were mentioned above.
If you want “true” fader control, I think you need a digital head unit to amp connection, because otherwise it’s just RCA 2 channel and it will interpolate the front and back. You’d need an amp with optical in and a head unit with optical out so the signal is passed digitally. Something like the Audison bit series that are pretty compact and yet have a bunch of features.
The following users liked this post:
Furioso2112 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:51 AM

2006 R500
If you want “true” fader control, I think you need a digital head unit to amp connection, because otherwise it’s just RCA 2 channel and it will interpolate the front and back. You’d need an amp with optical in and a head unit with optical out so the signal is passed digitally. Something like the Audison bit series that are pretty compact and yet have a bunch of features.
You don't need a digital amp to get fader control as long as the Android unit has front and rear RCA outputs. That said, digital is how you get the best sound quality out of an Android head unit.

The biggest challenge will be wiring up the 12? speakers in the HK system. I believe the door speakers are independently wired to the amp rather than being a passive component setup. 2 speakers per door (8 total), center console speaker, 2 rear pillar speakers, and trunk subwoofer (uses the same 6.5" woofer as the door speakers).
Old 09-11-2023, 03:07 AM

-
You don't need a digital amp to get fader control as long as the Android unit has front and rear RCA outputs. That said, digital is how you get the best sound quality out of an Android head unit.

The biggest challenge will be wiring up the 12? speakers in the HK system. I believe the door speakers are independently wired to the amp rather than being a passive component setup. 2 speakers per door (8 total), center console speaker, 2 rear pillar speakers, and trunk subwoofer (uses the same 6.5" woofer as the door speakers).
Yeah I was just thinking about the unit I installed - I feel like it didn’t have 4ch out, but maybe I am wrong on that.

More importantly, I think rewiring HK isn’t worth the hassle. Not to mention the crazy amp(s) you’d need for all those speakers! If my math is right, 4ch front or 2ch with active crossovers, let’s say you ignore the dash speaker, same for rear doors, and maybe either another 2ch for rear pillar or cheat and slave them off the rear doors, and a separate channel for the sub. So 8 channel or so. That’s at minimum an Audison bit 8.9, which is like a $1K device, potentially two of them if you end up splitting the other channels. I don’t think you can run that many speakers off a single amp, can you?
Old 09-11-2023, 03:28 AM

2006 R500
Yeah I was just thinking about the unit I installed - I feel like it didn’t have 4ch out, but maybe I am wrong on that.

More importantly, I think rewiring HK isn’t worth the hassle. Not to mention the crazy amp(s) you’d need for all those speakers! If my math is right, 4ch front or 2ch with active crossovers, let’s say you ignore the dash speaker, same for rear doors, and maybe either another 2ch for rear pillar or cheat and slave them off the rear doors, and a separate channel for the sub. So 8 channel or so. That’s at minimum an Audison bit 8.9, which is like a $1K device, potentially two of them if you end up splitting the other channels. I don’t think you can run that many speakers off a single amp, can you?
Some Android head units have 2 channel RCAs, some have 4 or 5. It really depends.

You can run as many speakers off of a single amp as you want as long as you don't go below the ohm rating of the amp. You will end up with reduced power available to each speaker in that route though. You can add passive crossovers or replace the door speakers with component speakers, eliminating the need for an active crossover/signal processor and 4 channels.

You are right though about the cost/benefit equation not being worth it. IMO unless you're replacing the speakers with mid-high end speakers, rewiring the stock speakers is not worth the time and cost.