R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

transmission oil dipstick ?? how to know wich one to get ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ml320 with lift, dirt tires and rust !!!
transmission oil dipstick ?? how to know wich one to get ?

need to check my transmission oil level, how to know wich one to get ?

r500 2006

thanks
Old 04-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
There is only one and there are thousands available on ebay.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
There is only one and there are thousands available on ebay.
yep, so wich one, what length ? wich one is the right for me , question is more, how to know the one i get will give me the good reading !!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
Most sellers will list the applicable model for the tool,in any event get he longest as the important part is the temp measurements at the end of the tool!
Old 04-29-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
Originally Posted by johnand
So, I just completed the 2nd 722.9 7G transmission service, so I have decided to start a thread and post a DIY write-up.

As most of you know the 722.9 transmission does NOT have a dipstick tube, so checking fluid level via a dipstick is not possible. But, with a few quality tools a moderately competent person can service their own 722.9 transmission and check the level themselves.

The fluid level is checked via an overflow method using a MB STAR Diagnostic system at a specified fluid temperature. If you have access to one, great. If you don't, that is OK, all that is needed is a quality infrared thermometer. I have a MB STAR clone system and have verified that a Fluke 62 infrared thermometer read within 1-2 degrees of what the STAR system does.

Attached are the following documents:

1)722.9 Transmission Service - This is my write-up of how to properly service the 722.9 transmission including all parts and tool needed.

2)Automatic Transmission Oil and Filter Change - This is the latest up to date MB WIS document on how to service the transmission.

3)Automatic Transmission Fluids (ATF sheet 236) - This is the latest up to date MB WIS document on approved ATF.

4)Drain Transmission Fluid from Torque Converter - This is the latest up to date MB WIS document on how to drain the torque converter, which is now required as part of the transmission service.

5)Filling Automatic Transmission with Fluid - This is the latest up to date MB WIS document on filling the transmission and checking fluid level.

6)Oil Pan and Overflow Tube Modified - This is the latest up to date MB WIS document explaining the new updated pan and overflow tube that is required if you have the old out of date pan.

I also have 2 files that are extensively detailed on the design, operation, software, and maintenance. They are posted in the MBWorld Wiki here:

722.9 Study Guide
722.9 Tech Guide

I did not take pictures of the procedure, but took video. I am still trying to process the video. The video portion is just fine, but the sound is horrible and barely legible. I may record a new audio track. I will post the video up when complete. I should be able to add still shots from the video to the write-up at least.

Another thing of note. The WIS document for servicing the transmission floating around on here on MB World is from the STAR DVD's that are available from MB. They are not updated like the WIS documents. So, if you look at the WIS document I posted, you can see MB changed a few things on the service. 1)They added shifting the car into neutral before servicing. 2)A new gasket is required now and can NOT be reused. 3)Draining the torque converter is required as part of the service now.
From this quote above, I'm pretty sure none of the 722.9 have a dipstick tube as neither my '06 SLK55 or my '12 R350 have one. Please correct me if this isn't typical. So the procedure involves a temperature sensor as @Plutoe is referring to, not a dipstick

What looks like a pretty good reference on changing out fluid in the 722.9 can be found at this LINKY where the quote above came from. Author is working on an 07 C Class. Note that if you take this on, you might find your torque converter doesn't have a drain plug (my 06 SLK55 didn't) and to do a full tranny/converter drain, the high pressure line had to be pulled from the radiator and the motor cranked. Also, it's likely better to update to the 236.15 fluid if your model year(deep dimple pan) calls for it. Merc say the 236.4 works in place of the 236.5 (but not backwards compatible).

My thought is why not just go with the updated stuff if your spec calls for it.

Last edited by Lioninstreet; 04-29-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:52 PM

ow boy does that look like a PAIN IN THE A.. i just wanted to check the levels, as i did notice on my old old 98 ml that the transmission is wet with oil, i wanted to check it also on my R.

well, thanks a lot for replys and i'll keep you updated if i think this out and do the oil change.