R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

potential r350

Old 05-05-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r350
potential r350

I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 r350 diesel with 58,000 km (40,000 miles). I have to admit, I'm concerned about reliability and maintenance costs. The price is good, and the car looks great. Am I going to regret this? It will be replacing a 2011 Chrysler Town and Country which is starting to show its age.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
Unless you know the Merc diesels and how to keep them running, stick with a gas model. Read up on the forum on what to look for, what to avoid, and what the typical trouble points are.

Yes, a ricer van will probably be cheaper to keep, But IMHO the big picture is the interior space, utility, and ride of the R class is well worth it. Especially since most of the issues the later models ('08 and newer) have aren't that much different than with other 6-7 passenger vehicles.

Anyone else agree, disagree, or on the fence?
Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
R350 2008 4Matic Gasoline
Hi @Lioninstreet i was thinkin about getting the 2008 GL320 Diesel and trading in the R350 gas...You dont recommned Diesel ? I heard the Gas Mileage is Sweet om those rides....

Originally Posted by Lioninstreet
Unless you know the Merc diesels and how to keep them running, stick with a gas model. Read up on the forum on what to look for, what to avoid, and what the typical trouble points are.

Yes, a ricer van will probably be cheaper to keep, But IMHO the big picture is the interior space, utility, and ride of the R class is well worth it. Especially since most of the issues the later models ('08 and newer) have aren't that much different than with other 6-7 passenger vehicles.

Anyone else agree, disagree, or on the fence?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:08 PM

06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
Bluetec Diesels are more complex (read higher potential for mechanical issues) than any other engine Mercedes makes. Not to mention, for most the routine maintenance is more costly.

On positive note, Merc fully revised their diesel service schedule in 2018 to twice a year instead of the 10k schedule. This makes a huge difference in a high temperature environment that diesels have, especially when it comes to oil durability. Is it possible they are indirectly acknowledging this?

Diesel engine Oil Coking (this link is about a five minute read but extremely informative on the OM642 motor) is a huge issue. Considering it's impractical to pull the oil pan on a prospect vehicle before buying, I would be concerned that many of the used OM642 diesels out there are effected in some way or another by overly stressed engine oil that was only changed every 10k+ miles.

The diesel guys seem to love the OM642, but most of them do their own work and are long term owners. Among other things like the glow plug module and swirl motors, the common failure points are: Turbo Seals, and Oil Cooler Seals. In fact oil leaks seem common. More on this can be easily found.

Also, there are some interesting ML owners perspectives on Gas vs Diesel on this Linky

With the gas motors, the only major issue with the M272 is the balance shaft on the pre '08s and the M276 is basically design issue free. I'll stick with those. Don't get me wrong, I like diesels. Problem is, I have enough trouble on my plate already to add any of these above issues. Especially if all I have to gain is a few MPG.

You might get an R diesel owner to chime with their experiences,

Last edited by Lioninstreet; 05-05-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
R350 2008 4Matic Gasoline
Good info @LioninStreet ..i guess your right on that...for some reason i thought they were more realible being they were diesel..but if you really look into it..it seems more of a hassle.....Thanx for the input..i guess no diesel for me..lol

Originally Posted by Lioninstreet
Bluetec Diesels are more complex (read higher potential for mechanical issues) than any other engine Mercedes makes. Not to mention, for most the routine maintenance is more costly.

On positive note, Merc fully revised their diesel service schedule in 2018 to twice a year instead of the 10k schedule. This makes a huge difference in a high temperature environment that diesels have, especially when it comes to oil durability. Is it possible they are indirectly acknowledging this?

Diesel engine Oil Coking (this link is about a five minute read but extremely informative on the OM642 motor) is a huge issue. Considering it's impractical to pull the oil pan on a prospect vehicle before buying, I would be concerned that many of the used OM642 diesels out there are effected in some way or another by overly stressed engine oil that was only changed every 10k+ miles.

The diesel guys seem to love the OM642, but most of them do their own work and are long term owners. Among other things like the glow plug module and swirl motors, the common failure points are: Turbo Seals, and Oil Cooler Seals. In fact oil leaks seem common. More on this can be easily found.

Also, there are some interesting ML owners perspectives on Gas vs Diesel on this Linky

With the gas motors, the only major issue with the M272 is the balance shaft on the pre '08s and the M276 is basically design issue free. I'll stick with those. Don't get me wrong, I like diesels. Problem is, I have enough trouble on my plate already to add any of these above issues. Especially if all I have to gain is a few MPG.

You might get an R diesel owner to chime with their experiences,
Old 05-05-2018, 03:19 PM

06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
I found all that a few years ago when my "R" journey began. I just felt there was too much potential for diesel engine issues.

The choice to go with an R class already left me accepting the existing "quirks". But when you consider overall how it compares to the other similar vehicle choices there are, this other little stuff is no big deal to me.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
yeah. I had a 2008 CDI... loved the car but fortunate to have had extended warranty.. would have been 10-15K$ service if not.
I would stay away from the diesel. apart from service, mine started making noise after 100K km. totally squashed the driving pleasure.
I now have a gas 2011. love it to death.

We have also had 2 *ricer* minivans Honda Oddysey. wife loves it. its super reliable. no servise apart from wear items like brakes and oil and tranny fluid in 4 years, 120K km.
But you cannot compare the 2. different beasts.