R500 will not crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
R500 will not crank

Hi,

New to the site, and fairly new to MB so please forgive my ignorance and lack of awareness.
I have a 2006 UK R500 and recently, my friend was searching for a switched live so as to install something.
Somewhere along the way, something broke such that the ignition now comes on, but it will not crank. I hear the fuel pump run when it cranks, a bunch of relays click, but no cranky cranky.
Feeling a lot guilty, my friend got hold of a Snap On Versus tool and this shows that the instrument panel ECU (I'm it has a more Mercedes name, but I don't know any of them yet.) seems to recognise the smart card. Given you can't make comms with the car without the ignition, that should be no surprise.
However, the Engine ECU shows that Start_Enabled=0. It seems to my uneducated eye that there is something between the smart card detection and the engine that's preventing running.
If I try and crank it without my foot on the brake, I don't get any message. I really cannot remember if I am supposed to or not though, I never really took any notice of it as I've always started autos with my foot on the brake.

Naturally, the first place I've looked is the various fuseboxes to see if something that he did made the special smoke leak out. I've checked the fuses in the end of the dash board (right hand side as the driver faces forward), the fusebox at the front right of the engine bay, just behind the OS headlight, the one on a funny slant in the boot and one in the battery compartment. All fuses look good (although if I take the 5A fuse out of the dash-end fusebox, the lights come on for some reason). Are there any other fuse boxes that I'm missing?
If it helps, the cigarette lighter isn't working, although there is illumination to it suggesting the earth at the lighter is ok.

Any and all advice gratefully received, (even if it just to a post that I can't yet find that shows exactly this problem and if only I'd looked properly I'd have found it....)

Many, many thanks,
Pete.