R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

ESP Dangerous malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
ESP Dangerous malfunction

My 2011 R-class had a very weird and potentially dangerous ESP malfunction last night. I have scheduled a dealer appointment - but car is out of warranty so really worried that this is going to be big $$ for a 7 year old car (that has had more than its share of problems).

Situation: Completely dry road - temperature about 28 degrees C. Had just turned left at a light and about 200 yards later (doing about 65 km/hour) the car slowed down and the yellow triangle ESP light started flashing. For a moment I thought the car was going into "limp home" mode. I got off the gas and before I could do anything else, the brakes (I think right front only) locked up momentarily and the car lurched to the right. Fortunately this was late at night. I pulled over, turned off the car and inspected the wheels (thought I might have a flat or something like that). No visible problems. Started car up again and drove very slowly home.

There are reports in other forums of a defective yaw sensor causing problems - this might make sense since I had just turned left. But doesn't give me a lot of confidence if a failure in the safety system makes the system unsafe (as opposed to inoperable).

Has anybody else experienced this? Coincidentally - my rear wiper is frozen, half way through a cycle. You can hear the motor trying to engage but the shaft is seized (I think) - a common problem with MB rear wipers. Who designs a windshield wiper system with a shaft that corrodes? I love driving this car - but it's had problems I've never had before in 40 years owning various cars. I was already looking at a Volvo V90 now as a replacement - but will miss the third row and towing ability.

Last edited by CedarMtn; 07-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.