Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
R350 2008 4Matic Gasoline
Tailgate not Closing ???

Has anyone had their tailgate only open but not close ?? Mine is not closing
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
there are a number of tailgate issues from the safety strip to the hydraulics to the pneumatic pistons, to the latch to the front switch to the keyfob to the handle to the Sam. You can search this. Also do explain your problem in much more detail so we can help with the exact problem and provide the model and year. Some did not have the hydraulic lift features, does yours?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
Originally Posted by BenzBallin
Has anyone had their tailgate only open but not close ?? Mine is not closing
does this happen when somebody opens the tailgate using the latch? On my car, the latch mechanism binds sometimes and gets stuck in the depressed position. So I have to release the stuck handle before the tailgate will close. If I open with the key fob or the interior switch there is no problem.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:43 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by CedarMtn

does this happen when somebody opens the tailgate using the latch? On my car, the latch mechanism binds sometimes and gets stuck in the depressed position. So I have to release the stuck handle before the tailgate will close. If I open with the key fob or the interior switch there is no problem.
yes I had that issue on my 2008... some lubrication on the handle solved that issue.. you can try from outside but I think I did it from the inside by removing the trim...
Old 07-28-2018, 08:38 AM

It was actually really wierd....It Started when i opened the tailgate on a Rainy day..not raining too hard but raining....i noticed it wouldnt close so had to then get out and close it manually...did notice a lil bit of noise but didnt close...after pushimy it down..it closed and i could hear the locking noise finish its closing......"Suprised to see the next day when the Sun was out...The Tailgate Magically fixed itself and now opens and closes....later that night while still raining a lil i did try it again when i got the stuff out the trunk..and it didnt close as it was still raining a lil...So i guess the R350 doesnt like to close when uts Raining ?????? Lol
Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
so... what circuits may be affected by water?
What happens if you spray water with a hose? can you duplicate the problem?
Spray selectively. try spraing just around the handle...
There is the safety strip around the edge.. im thinking that is affected by water and shuts down the system.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 PM

Man so this Happend again.. after the car had been rained on... but not currently not wet or being rained on when it happend again i press the Close button and it makes a Half Beep' then stops.."Usualy does a couple beeps while it closes and i hear a gear moving noise forn the middle lock area,..but no closing automatically...Can the problem be in the wire Harness ?? Maybe water caught inside ??

Originally Posted by efzauner
so... what circuits may be affected by water?
What happens if you spray water with a hose? can you duplicate the problem?
Spray selectively. try spraing just around the handle...
There is the safety strip around the edge.. im thinking that is affected by water and shuts down the system.