R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Looking at an 06' R500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
Looking at an 06' R500

Hello all, I am looking at getting another Mercedes-Benz, an R500.
my wife wants to get another family size car in addition to the Town and country minivan we have.
I really love my CLS55 AMG and I had seen a couple R models before and had kept them in mind.

The R500 I am looking at has 124k on it and is a 2006 model year. I am Leary of the R350's due to engine issues and I know the 5.0L V8 had been tried and true. This particular vehicle had had recent 100k service at a Mercedes dealer including brake fluid flush, along with prev history records. At the current dealer it's far sale at they did a left rear air bag with recalibration, both rear shocks, put new front bumper on with a left headlight housing do to being cracked (no accident noted on Carfax), brake pad sensors, oil filter cap, windshield washer pump, ignition switch, left engine mount, and main battery. Needs tires though. 4 prev owners.

I looked into an extended warranty from the current dealer (Powertrain only) not exclusionary.
The warranty Company: Gold Standard
The Deductible: $0
Price for $0 Deductible Policy: $2,909 or $100 ded/ $2,609
Taxable: NO

I am interested in knowing if that sounds decent or not for a warranty or if the Powertrain side on the R500s are pretty reliable?

Price listed is just under $6k.

Does this sound like a decent deal?
Car is lacking of some options like panoramic moonroof, rear DVD, fog lights, HID headlamps, but overall looks decent. Carpet is a little dirtu in some spots but I was going to to weather tech mats throughout

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Last edited by CDC55AMG; 02-06-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 R500
7 speed transmission in the first couple years (which the R500 would fall under) has been known to be problematic. I don't think it was until 2009 or so that Mercedes sorted out the 7 speed. Transmission rebuild/replacement is 2000-3500 I believe.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 PM

CLS55AMG
Originally Posted by Tsumi
7 speed transmission in the first couple years (which the R500 would fall under) has been known to be problematic. I don't think it was until 2009 or so that Mercedes sorted out the 7 speed. Transmission rebuild/replacement is 2000-3500 I believe.
What is the typical mileage the early 722.9 seven speeds fail or have issues. This R500 I am looking at has 124k on it and I plan on doing a trans fluid and filter change soon. I would think that if there was a failure to be had it would have done it by now (?)
I can get a 5 year 60k extended warranty for $2900 Powertrain only but i am seriously wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 AM

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 R500
I would read very carefully what the powertrain warranty covers.

Can't find any numbers on mileage that it would occur at.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:39 PM

CLS55AMG
Originally Posted by Tsumi
I would read very carefully what the powertrain warranty covers.

Can't find any numbers on mileage that it would occur at.
I appreciate you checking into the trans failures. I will cover the warranty terms really well...kind of an expensive warranty for just Powertrain. Does have a $0 deductible though.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
i have a 06 R500 with 128k miles on it ... love the car... makes me happy everytime i sit behind the wheel.

As for the transmission problems, it's the valve body that causes problems... here's a good link http://www.mercedesmedic.com/must-re...nductor-plate/ ...
I don't have that problem (thankfully) but i know that dealer is around 3k to replace (new and updated unit), or about 1-1.5k for a repair (using existing valve body, send unit in, they replace solenoids etc)

Also, instead of the weathertec, can i suggest something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Merced...item4662a5c525 .. i bought a set a couple of years back and think they are awesome and compliment the interior of the car (color match)... and much cheaper to boot

And lastly, because of a bad experience with aftermarket warranty, i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw my R500 When i bought my R i was thinking the same as you... but honestly they declined more than they approved (despite ALL maintenance and records) so in the end i cancelled on them. But then again, i could have just had one of those 'bad' companies (but how to know which one is going to look after you until the time comes!)

If the maintenance history is good, then it's a good buy and given the work they just did on it, definitely worth 6k...
Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 AM

CLS55AMG
Hi Jonmac I have to say that the R500 does not feel or drive like a 13 year an old car. Thank you for the info on the transmission. I am scheduling the R500 in for a trans fluid flush and I will be changing all the differential oil and transfer case oil as with 124k miles I do not show any record of them being changed. Thank you for the link on the floor mats they look pretty cool! I did already buy a set of weather tech mats so I could install them the day I bought the car 2 weeks ago during a snow storm. I am looking to do a HID light upgrade on the low beams next week as the current lights are halogen and leave a lot to be desired especially since my R500 does not have fog lamps. Not many R-class cars I looked had fog lamps.
How do you like the brakes on yours? Do you have the smaller R350 brakes with 13.0" front rotors and solid rear rotors? Unfortunately my car does answer I am looking to retrofit a larger brake package though still exploring options.
Take care!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 C240 (W203) 2007 R500 (W251)
For brakes, i'm all stock... though here's a great detailed article on a brake upgrade (too much for me lol) that will provide a lot of technical requirements/limitations in case you need the info ... https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...de-brakes.html ... i've never paid much attention to the brakes but I'm one of the early rollout R500's and i know my brakes are not slotted so i imagine it's the smaller setup.
I don't have a problem with them though, i've only locked them up once but then again i am pretty conservative on how i drive (except on open roads.. i let her go now and again to burn off that carbon buildup!) ...
The R500's that i've seen haven't had fog lamps because i don't think they came in the 'sport' package (which the fog is part of) that the R350's had as an option...
I used the fog lamp cavity for my own set of DRL's and they've lasted longer, worked better than i expected I've looked at buying and installing the OEM fog assembly but couldn't justify the need. I've also used both HID and LED bulbs... happy with the LED.. NOT as bright as the HID's but most of my driving at night is in built up areas with plenty of road lighting anyway so it's not a major issue for me... if i was somewhere more isolated i may be inclined to use HID's. (reason i switched was that the controller for one of the HID's blew out in about 14 months - the light housing is big enough to hold all the components inside it but the bulb itself is PITA to change out... blind, 90 degree, do everything by touch only annoying... if you go hid, don't forget to order the bulb clip adapter)
here's a pic of my big baby
Old 03-15-2019, 12:23 AM

CLS55AMG
Thank you, I had read through that thread on upgraded brakes and if I were to do it I would go with the R/ML63 brakes since they bolt right up. Though for the time being I will do with new brakes on the same size and see how they do at least rotors and more aggressive pads.
I will be doing the AZN optics HID conversion this weekend so very excited about casting more light onto the roadway. I will post some pics up. I really like the silver color of yours... German cars always look good in silver! What type and size wheels are you running?
Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
R500 Owner, 2006
Purchased 4/2016
It is quite a vehicle for the price I paid, $6500.00.
I have put a lot of service expense into this car and I have felt every time it is worth it.
The safety, comfort and even highway mileage, spaciousness more than make up for the blips that come along with ownership.
The steering wheel was the most expensive repair, 4/19. Before that it was a bear to park but handled fine on the highway.
I had an aftermarket hitch removed that messed up the electrical in the tail light, I let it go for a long time until I was pulled over, then it was taken care of.
Currently the Cellinoid in transmission needs assistance and I will take it to VAN HOUSEN Dealership which happens to be 1.5 hours away.
I realize I am now driving an elder but again, I am very happy with this HUGE wagon, even with the repairs here and there.
One last note, this model is considered a Classic Car according to VHM.
I think it is the best bargain out there...