R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Mercedes R 251 Media/Aux/TV Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes R550 2009
Mercedes R 251 Media/Aux/TV Questions

Hi, new time mercedes owner, and thanks for any help in advance.
I am a new owner of a mercedes R500, 2009 (550) in Australia, Which, as far as I can make out is the only one I've seen with the 55 motor in it yet over here, which is why I bought it.
Have always had big Australian cars (caprice etc for those who know) but arrived at the R after long hunting for something to suit more people moving.
Anyway, my question:

I have a high spec model, has a TV tuner installed (in the rear right cargo compartment)
Have the TV option on the rear screens, but can't manually select channels and frequency, or complete a tune. Can't seem to find this in the manual or in an online search. Not sure if the tuner is broken, or if I am doing something wrong. Comes up with a no signal icon, after a little bit of fuzz. There is no option to select tv input on the front screen. I can manually select digital station numbers, but I'm used to selecting frequencies. Not sure if this has to do with the ipod cable in the glovebox or not.

I bought a little TV box to play the kids things off a USB stick, but I don't seem to be able to activate/use/see the RCA plugs in the side of either screen, or in the centre console. Is this normal, or does this have to do with the IPOD plug in the glovebox?

Has anyone installed, or able to point me towards the input selector device which helps with the conflict between these two? Is it an easy install?

If the Ipod cable is problematic for the RCA inputs, is the "media interface plus" I've read about any good to get video inputted into the rear screens? How much is this?

My wife likes to see what the kids are looking at, so would also like to investigate video in motion. Is this done, and are there any side effects?

With the above issues, I'm considering looking into one of the aftermarket head units that have apple play, etc. Will Nav still work, or what are the downsides? I have the harmon kardon system, so do I need to get some form of optic adaptor?

Thanks very much.

Ed
Old 04-25-2019, 05:17 PM

Mercedes R550 2009
Update

Have managed to get the rca input on the side of each rear screen working as an input, but the input will only work per screen, ie can’t have one screen input work both rear screens. There was a non standard (if there is even a standard) coloured output on the rca plugs of the little player I was using.
Still can seem to get the rca input working that’s in the front centre console working, think this is linked to having the media interface installed.

With the tv tuner, definitely is there- when I enter engineering mode, it shows the serial or firmware numbers for the tv tuner. Still no luck getting it to appear as an option on the front screens. Does anyone have instructions on how to get the tuner out of the rear area, ie how much trim needs to be removed to get it out?

thanks
ed
Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
do you have a remote control for this? in my 2008 with rear entertainment I could not get anything to work back there until dealer replaced my remote....
Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 PM

Mercedes R550 2009
Originally Posted by efzauner
do you have a remote control for this? in my 2008 with rear entertainment I could not get anything to work back there until dealer replaced my remote....
yes, have the remote which is working ok. very basic menus though.