R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

How to relevel rear air suspension after air spring replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
How to relevel rear air suspension after air spring replacement

Just going to post some notes here because I did not find anything like this on the forums or internet anywhere. I just swapped out a leaky rear air spring in my wife's 2010 R350 (only has air springs in the back, not fronts). That repair is super easy and you can find videos on it all over the internet. But, like many others, after I did that replacement, the car will not relevel itself. And the only answer I could ever find was you have to take the car to the dealer to get it reprogrammed/releveled.

So after replacing the passenger rear air spring, starting the car back up, waiting for the compressor to fill up the new air spring, I had a unlevel car. The driver rear had about 5" of clearance from tire to fender and the passenger rear (the one I just replaced) had about 2" of clearance. The pump would not give the passenger rear any more air. I turned off the car, drove it, restarted, etc. but it stayed unlevel.

So what I did was to find the air suspension distribution block (not really sure what the official name of it is) which is right by the passenger headlight (you don't need to even remove anything from the car to get to it). The two lines that come out of it are marked red (for passenger rear) and blue (for driver rear). I loosened the driver rear line (10mm wrench) to slowly let air out of it. When the gaps on each side of the car were the same, I retightened. Now I had a level but lowrider rear end. I started the car back up and the pump filled both rear air suspension springs equally to about the 5" gap I had on the good side when I started.

General location of air distro block

Two white air lines coming out of the distro block (at the top of the photo).
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
I have to replace a passenger side rear air spring on my 06 R500 since the left side rear already replaced by previous owner and I have a uneven rear end height. The old right side bag is full on inflated and I bled the air out at the bag and reinflated work key on and it went back to the same uneven status. I checked the level sensors to make sure the right side was not flipped and it was not and I soaked the swivel joints down with LPS2 so they would not stick.
I will try at the air manifold behind right headlamp after I replace the right air bag. Thanks!