Ceramic Brake Pads Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R350
Ceramic Brake Pads Opinions

Hi,

I will need to replace brake pads/rotors soon. I am thinking of going with zimmerman rotors and on the fence between Jurid, Pagid and Akebono pads.

Jurid I believe are the OEM manufacturers for Mercedes (pls correct me if I am wrong). I also read some are made by Pagid. I assume these will stop the same as OEM but will produce a lot of brake dust.

Akebono ceramic pads are low dust but i am curious to know how people like them. The R350 is a heavy car so I am worried it won't stop as well. Can anyone comment on their stopping power?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
Hello, I just did front pads and rotors on my R500 and the Zimmerman rotors you can never go wrong with. For pads it really is up the person. I prefer good brake feel, initial bite, and good fade resistance and will trade for some brake dust especially with a vehicle that weighs this much. The pagids are good but notoriously dusty across all makes of cars. I used EBC Yellow Stuff pads which I am still breaking in but so far are a awesome improvement in the areas I mentioned above over stock pads and create same amount of dust. Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R350
Originally Posted by CDC55AMG
Hello, I just did front pads and rotors on my R500 and the Zimmerman rotors you can never go wrong with. For pads it really is up the person. I prefer good brake feel, initial bite, and good fade resistance and will trade for some brake dust especially with a vehicle that weighs this much. The pagids are good but notoriously dusty across all makes of cars. I used EBC Yellow Stuff pads which I am still breaking in but so far are a awesome improvement in the areas I mentioned above over stock pads and create same amount of dust. Hope this helps.
That was very helpful. Thank you!

I think I will go with the Jurid pads and Zimmerman rotors. The car is driven by my wife and I would prefer safety given the weight of this car as you mentioned.

Cheers!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:21 PM

CLS55AMG
Originally Posted by R350NYC
That was very helpful. Thank you!

I think I will go with the Jurid pads and Zimmerman rotors. The car is driven by my wife and I would prefer safety given the weight of this car as you mentioned.

Cheers!
You're very welcome! What do you think of the jurid pads? I just did brakes (rotors and pads) on my wife's Chrysler Town and Country with Akebono ceramic pads but does not weigh as much as the R500 nor has the performance. Cheers! PadsAkebono
Old 09-15-2019, 02:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
I have the Akbono Eurosport Ceramic's on the rear of my SLK55. But they don't make a pad for the Merc 6 pot P30 calipers. So had to swap in a set of the '08-'09 C63 AMG non-black Disk Italia Hyper-Ceramics. They are both very, very grippy. But the four corners set me back $350 just for pads. Don't even ask how much the floating rotors were...

On my R, I just happened to have a set of Wagner OEX Ceramics & Powerstop drilled & slotted rotors (C-Tec's premium brand) installed. I got them both at Rock Auto for something like $175 delivered. The rotors looked really nice but the verdict on the Wagner's is still out. It's the first day after install, the petal feels a more spongy, and the braking isn't as positive anymore. Not that this R use to brake like a stopping a roller skate before, but at least I didn't have to mash on the petal to slow down.

The tech swears up and down he didn't need to pull the lines and the fluid reservoir is topped off. I've been working with him for the last 5 years so it's not my first rodeo with him. So I'm inclined to believe what he's telling me.

But the petal sure feels like there's some air in the lines. At this point I'm hoping the pads just aren't bedded in yet.... Only time will tell.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:24 PM

CLS55AMG
Did the tech at just push the old brake fluid out of the piston bores on calipers when they were pushed back in to make room for new pads? I know the Aekebono pads did not have any bed-in process where as the EBC pads did. Poor bite sounds more like pads not bedded in yet but spongy pedal sounds more like air in system.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
As an aside, the primary reason I didn't just put the OE pads back in is they generate so much dust. The Akbono Eurosports on the other hand are practically dust free. So if it turns out the Wagner's are dust generators too, they were cheap enough to just pull and toss.

Once I know the answer on that, I'm going to ask the tech to entertain me and bleed all four corners of the system just to rule that out as the problem.