R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

DIY Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement P0335

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R350
DIY Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement P0335

I was on the highway driving at 50 mph and the car all the sudden bucked with the RPMs dropping to 0 for a second and then back up to 2k. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree and then the Check Engine light came on along with the Yellow ! triangle and a message that said ESP was not functioning. When I got home, I read the code P0335 which is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The car started up fine and seemed to drive the same and after doing some research I found that when this sensor goes, it doesn't necessarily just bring your car to a halt all the sudden. Sometimes the car won't start when its warm, will shut down while the engine is running or won't start at all.

I decided to replace this part myself. It cost about 40 bucks on fcpeuro for the oem MB sensor with the OE Bosch costing about 25. The sensor is a pain to get to.

I consolidated the resources I used to get the job done below.

Picture of the sensor location at the back of the engine:
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...cement-cps.jpg

Video of how to replace it:

Good writeup on it as well:
http://www.classicjalopy.com/2019/04...sition-sensor/

In my particular case, I did not remove the MAF as I was able to get my hand down there and unscrew the T30 screw for the sensor. It WILL require you to put together a set of extensions to get to the screw. In my case I used two 1/4" extensions and two swivels.

The most useful thing I had is an endoscope that I bought from Amazon for like 25 bucks. I was able to stick the camera down there to see what I was doing since you are blind otherwise. I would highly recommend getting one for the job since its cheap enough and makes the job a lot easier.

You will get some cuts on your arms so wear something that can protect your skin which is not too thick.

Anyway, hope this helps someone out here as I didn't see many other resources on this.