R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

HELP PLEASE. 2011 R350 Bluetec OM642 missfire hiccups detonation. Warm and idle only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
HELP PLEASE. 2011 R350 Bluetec OM642 missfire hiccups detonation. Warm and idle only

I am not knoledgeable enought and sorry to call it misfire for a diesel.
it is actually like a hiccup and it feels/sounds like an explosion. Thought it has something to do with the combustion. Dealer wanted to change 3 injectors for bad values but not specific codes quoting me at $2800 before tax.
Other mechanics recommendations were injectors as well. Therefore I had my Indy changing some of the injectors today with no change.
As short history car has 166k miles and this started at about 164k miles shortly after and around or at about the time of adding freezing additive for diesel fuel while a tank fill up which could be just coincidence.
Egr code has been on and off rarely every now and then for the past year...about 35k miles.
Lp fuel pump in tank replaced at about 145-150k miles. Shortly after at about 155k miles fuel filter changed.
No start up problems, no smoke like when bad injectors. No hiccups for the first 5-10 min when cold. Then thy start randomly intensifying in frequency with the warmer the engine gets, but also sound/feel of the hiccups/explosion/detonation intensify itself as well. The fee is more like a skip of something like a big heavy chain from a gear to another.
It also sounds/feel like a gun intermittently shooting one round then within a second 2-3 rounds then one more or 2 seconds another 2-3 rounds.
It gets overrided when accelerating and the feel/sound of the hiccup/explosion/detonation reduces with higher RPM to the point of when reaching anything above 1500 it seems like it’s goes away or it is not there anymore.
Could it be the High Pressure pump? Could it be my EGR stuck closed/opened influencing the intake with high temp exhaust gases recirculating since it starts to be more pronounced warming up and it is never there at cold start?
Please let me know if anyone experienced anything similar or what else you guys may think of.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 PM

E500
JUST SPENT $2000 AT THE INDY WITH NO LUCK

Originally Posted by sabb
I am not knoledgeable enought and sorry to call it misfire for a diesel.
it is actually like a hiccup and it feels/sounds like an explosion. Thought it has something to do with the combustion. Dealer wanted to change 3 injectors for bad values but not specific codes quoting me at $2800 before tax.
Other mechanics recommendations were injectors as well. Therefore I had my Indy changing some of the injectors today with no change.
As short history car has 166k miles and this started at about 164k miles shortly after and around or at about the time of adding freezing additive for diesel fuel while a tank fill up which could be just coincidence.
Egr code has been on and off rarely every now and then for the past year...about 35k miles.
Lp fuel pump in tank replaced at about 145-150k miles. Shortly after at about 155k miles fuel filter changed.
No start up problems, no smoke like when bad injectors. No hiccups for the first 5-10 min when cold. Then thy start randomly intensifying in frequency with the warmer the engine gets, but also sound/feel of the hiccups/explosion/detonation intensify itself as well. The fee is more like a skip of something like a big heavy chain from a gear to another.
It also sounds/feel like a gun intermittently shooting one round then within a second 2-3 rounds then one more or 2 seconds another 2-3 rounds.
It gets overrided when accelerating and the feel/sound of the hiccup/explosion/detonation reduces with higher RPM to the point of when reaching anything above 1500 it seems like it’s goes away or it is not there anymore.
Could it be the High Pressure pump? Could it be my EGR stuck closed/opened influencing the intake with high temp exhaust gases recirculating since it starts to be more pronounced warming up and it is never there at cold start?
Please let me know if anyone experienced anything similar or what else you guys may think of.
Indy installed 3 new injectors and move them around between them all 6 with no luck.

Bill for labor and parts $2000. Buying an injector puller kit plus one injector cleaner kit plus the $210 spent on diagnostics at dealer I am $2400 into this with no results. Car is probably not worth more than $2500
as a trade in.

Car still running with the hiccups and I think they’re even more pronounced.

Dont know what to do next. If you have any suggestions please helps.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:51 AM

Alfa /mercedes sprinter
Originally Posted by sabb
Indy installed 3 new injectors and move them around between them all 6 with no luck.

Bill for labor and parts $2000. Buying an injector puller kit plus one injector cleaner kit plus the $210 spent on diagnostics at dealer I am $2400 into this with no results. Car is probably not worth more than $2500
as a trade in.

Car still running with the hiccups and I think they’re even more pronounced.

Dont know what to do next. If you have any suggestions please helps.
hello did get any help im having the exact same problem
Old 08-23-2021, 03:04 PM

E500
Originally Posted by Rafiek
hello did get any help im having the exact same problem

It was a pain in the ***. Took it to the best mechanics…also decided on myself to ask them for a carbon clean up and that way I would have it serviced and checked all the way down to the oil cooler gasket (big job). Everything changed in the way, checked piston heads and sleeves with special cameras, changed flaps and whatever else controls them in the air intake, EGR serviced don’t remember if changed or cleaned, checked turbo, going down with the camera and checked catalytic converter is what they called it but I think that was the DPF which didn’t look clogged. Put it back together and values from injectors all over the place still. Then look further into injectors and found a weird scenario where they come as 2 different part number one applies for both sides one only for one…hooped that was the issue and even though was never cleared why they come as 2 part numbers because it doesn’t make sense … let’s say there was a seevice buletin/update…doesn’t make sense because they either came as one and they added the second which would’ve meant they should stop advertising the first as compatible for both sides or the opposite wouldn’t make sense either. But we did add 3 more injectors new just for the hell of it after the $3500 in carbon cleanup and everything else which added another 2k for the bill. I was with the initial $2400 now about 8k in it.
Tested it after and for the most part was ok. Drove it for another week and came back. Left it alone and in another week went away by itself. So I never knew what fixed it but definitely not the $8k I spent.
Then right after the turbo started shutting down…later diagnosed as clogged DPF filter which was causing sensors to tell ecu to shut down turbo…made sense..it was to protect the engine from turbo wrongly recirculating exahaust gases. So this last thing with the turbo shutting down cause the clogged DPF made me think it might’ve been the original issue for the hiccups.
Then quoted by the dealer for a dpf filter $3700 plus eventually $1700 sensors …parts and labor.
I have to mention that I had been driving before all this with a check engine from the Addblue tank cause of a faulty element heater in the Dpf tank…that was never allowing the system to do regeneration…which was probably what was the cause to shorten the life of the dog filter and made it clogged completely to the point where clean up wasn’t even possible.
They have an emissions system recall/law suite which should install us new emission system components where DPF filter and other components should be changed.
google it. Is scheduled for 3rd quarter of this year for the Rclass but all blutecs qualify.
I would just check the dpf for clogging and if that’s the case should be your issue if totally clogged. Then do the recall for free.
I spent almost 10k with other small things on it and was never able to find exactly what it was.