R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Roofliner removal/Dashcam installation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2020 | 05:37 PM

BMW M4, R350 (W251), C230(W204)
Roofliner removal/Dashcam installation?

Hi everyone,

Just bought myself a used 2012 R350 (gas) and I'd like to install a dashcam myself. Anyone has tried this before and can give me some pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Alternately, does anyone in Toronto has a good place to recommend when it comes to:

1) Dashcam installation
2) Leatherette repair
3) Fixing the failed keyless Go unlock buttons (all 4 had died on me just a few days after I took delivery )
4) General maintenance

Many thanks

best regards,
BrianC
Old 01-13-2020 | 08:14 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Sorry I have been part of this forum since 2011 and never seen any posts on dash cams. As for the headliner, you can remove the A pillar trim and probably the roof console and see what you need to get to.
As for the keyless go. um I have similar issues.. but it moves around! it used to be the drivers door, now its rear left side... depends on weather. I suspect it is bad connections in the door.
Not loosing sleep on this.

FYI: there are 3 key fob sensors that triangulate the position of the key! Thats how it knows if you are inside or outside!
Old 01-13-2020 | 08:59 PM

Many thanks to your reply! This forum is pretty much dormant now but it is still filled with valuable experiences from R Class users, the niche group of people who really understand how unique and efficient the R was and even now.
I used to own two R classes under my company's name and back then, I was single, the R was just to haul passengers and clients around.
Now that I'm Married, with Children, the first vehicle that came to mind is the R and nothing else! Despite it had faded out of production for the rest of the world (except for China), despite it's an 8 year old vehicle, I bought it without hesitation!
I wish MB would eventually bring something similar back (not an SUV please! My senior parents couldn't climb up that thing!), otherwise, once this W251 breaks down, I really won't know what to replace it with!

best regards,
BrianC
Old 01-16-2020 | 05:25 PM

2007 R320 CDI
Dashcams

I was able to install my camera (in front of rear view mirror) without taking anything apart. I have an 07, so YMMV,
Tucked in wire above windshield, then there are rubber bits around all the trim at the edges. With a small wedge tool, you can pull this back and push your wires behind it. Power went down side of door and then hides under das with only a couple of inches exposed. The wire to the rear camera followed the trim at the roof line all the way back. Had to leave some extra wire to allow the rear hatch to open without pulling on the wire. Didn't have to remove a single piece of panel or trim.

Good luck!

KC
Old 01-17-2020 | 06:31 AM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by KC Freels
I was able to install my camera (in front of rear view mirror) without taking anything apart. I have an 07, so YMMV,
Tucked in wire above windshield, then there are rubber bits around all the trim at the edges. With a small wedge tool, you can pull this back and push your wires behind it. Power went down side of door and then hides under das with only a couple of inches exposed. The wire to the rear camera followed the trim at the roof line all the way back. Had to leave some extra wire to allow the rear hatch to open without pulling on the wire. Didn't have to remove a single piece of panel or trim.

Good luck!

KC
Could you take some pics of the install? What model dash cam? I wanted to install one also to simply video all the idiot drivers. but... why?
What do you guys plan on doing with it? Posting on youtube?

Old 01-18-2020 | 04:33 PM

Thanks KC! I've ordered a set of prying tools waiting for shipment to arrive. Wish me luck
Old 01-20-2020 | 11:46 AM

2007 R320 CDI
So I was in 2 not at fault accidents in less than 4 months here in Las Vegas. The drivers here are a special breed of stupid. I want it to demonstrate that I'm not at fault mostly! Get the case settled quicker.
And yes, I'll get some pics and put them up here.