R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R 350 2012 Ipod connector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes R 350 2012
R 350 2012 Ipod connector

Hi! I recently purchased a 2012 R 350 and would like to use the Ipod connector to play music from my Iphone. For some reason I can't get it to work, it doesn't show as connected in the infotainment. I have read that it should also charge the phone while connected which it isn't doing. Could this be a blown fuse or something else?
Old 04-23-2020, 12:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
I have a 2010 R350, don't know if they are the same. I have an old iPhone 4s hooked up in the glove compartment and it works great except when it doesn't. The connection is the old flat iPad style, pre lightning, and I don't know if the plug has worn or just the connection in the iPhone, the connection seems intermittent but works 3/4 of the time. Yes it charges and I leave it connected all of the time.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Mercedes R 350 2012
Originally Posted by gforaker
I have a 2010 R350, don't know if they are the same. I have an old iPhone 4s hooked up in the glove compartment and it works great except when it doesn't. The connection is the old flat iPad style, pre lightning, and I don't know if the plug has worn or just the connection in the iPhone, the connection seems intermittent but works 3/4 of the time. Yes it charges and I leave it connected all of the time.
Well my R class came with a few different adapters and none of them seem to be working. I also have the Bluetooth module for the ipod connector which doesn't seem to be getting any power either. I can imagine that the problem has to do with a blown fuse or the whole Ipod module it self.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
I had one in my car too. Removed all recently cause replaced my stereo with the aftermarket one.
The ipod is connected through the cable to the interface box, which is connected straight to the back of the stereo by another cable. I did not notice any fuses. The box does not include any fuses as well.
When i was using my ipod, only thing was dodgy, which is that flat wide connector to the ipod, was having to move it sometimes for it to work.

If yours does not work, probably it would be the ipod interface box is faulty? Or the cables? Or at the back of the stereo the connection is not good? Or maybe the stereo itself?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:18 AM

Mercedes R 350 2012
Originally Posted by virgisr
I had one in my car too. Removed all recently cause replaced my stereo with the aftermarket one.
The ipod is connected through the cable to the interface box, which is connected straight to the back of the stereo by another cable. I did not notice any fuses. The box does not include any fuses as well.
When i was using my ipod, only thing was dodgy, which is that flat wide connector to the ipod, was having to move it sometimes for it to work.

If yours does not work, probably it would be the ipod interface box is faulty? Or the cables? Or at the back of the stereo the connection is not good? Or maybe the stereo itself?
Thanks a lot for this reply! Knowing that the issue is probably not worth fixing I will probably look into an aftermarket unit as well. May I ask what unit did you buy and how do you like it?
Old 04-24-2020, 09:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
Originally Posted by Mercedesrclass
Thanks a lot for this reply! Knowing that the issue is probably not worth fixing I will probably look into an aftermarket unit as well. May I ask what unit did you buy and how do you like it?
i would agree with you. the original parts are expensive to replace. I decided to go for android system, visually it blends in quite well in the dash, looks like its an original. i liked that.
i quickly searched for one example on ebay, copy pasted the link below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/64GB-8-Co...wAAOSw1~tenzEp

you can get an idea what to look for by this link. The selection of them is quite large on ebay.

I am definitely satisfied with it. quality of the screen is good, it has got touch screen, a lot of other functions which i can not list here. have a look on that link.

My stereo is older that the one on the link, but it was plug and play. easy installation. various input options. Really happy with my choice.

Hope that helps
Old 04-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Mercedes R 350 2012
Thank you so much for your help! Good to hear that the aftermarket units work great. I think I'll make my purchase sometime soon
The following users liked this post:
virgisr (04-24-2020)