R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Removing bolts between turbo and exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R320 CDI
Removing bolts between turbo and exhaust

I'm doing the oil cooler seals on my 2007 R320 CDI, but I can't get past the turbo.
Despite my best efforts, I can't get the bolts out of the back of the turbo so I can remove it. I'm stripping out the E10, wearing down the ears on the bolt trying to get it to move.
I've used this product:
CRC 03027 Knock'Er Loose Plus Penetrating Solvent, (Net Weight:11.5 oz.) 20oz Aerosol, Reddish: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific CRC 03027 Knock'Er Loose Plus Penetrating Solvent, (Net Weight:11.5 oz.) 20oz Aerosol, Reddish: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Still can't get the bolts to move. Anyone got some advice? MB didn't give us a lot of room to work in the R class engine bay, and I can't get a breaker bar onto the wrench while it's on the bolt due to the windshield and wipers.
I've attached a photo of the bolts in question.

You can see the damage I am doing to this bolt. They are to be replaced when removed, and I have the new copper ones.

Thanks in advance!

KC
Old 12-17-2020, 05:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
Originally Posted by KC Freels
I'm doing the oil cooler seals on my 2007 R320 CDI, but I can't get past the turbo.
Despite my best efforts, I can't get the bolts out of the back of the turbo so I can remove it. I'm stripping out the E10, wearing down the ears on the bolt trying to get it to move.
I've used this product: CRC 03027 Knock'Er Loose Plus Penetrating Solvent, (Net Weight:11.5 oz.) 20oz Aerosol, Reddish: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Still can't get the bolts to move. Anyone got some advice? MB didn't give us a lot of room to work in the R class engine bay, and I can't get a breaker bar onto the wrench while it's on the bolt due to the windshield and wipers.
I've attached a photo of the bolts in question.

You can see the damage I am doing to this bolt. They are to be replaced when removed, and I have the new copper ones.

Thanks in advance!

KC
Hi, first advice is removing the wipers and water deflector (plastic trim for rain water). Much more access after that. And if the bolts are not giving up with all the wd40 spays, i would warm the engine up to working temperature. I know its goin to be hot to get on, but carefully, with padding not to burn yourself, you could do it. Been there. It worked for me. Of course your bolts might be seazed worse. Worth a try anyway
Old 12-19-2020, 04:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 / E400 Cab
Agree with the above re removing the cowl. It made the job so much easier!

I also recommend making a platform - again, it made the job so much more comfortable.

Old 05-28-2024, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 r300 cdi
How does anyone access the bolt at the bottom of the turbo exhaust pipe. I have removed the wipers etc and can get the 2 bolts out at the top of the pipe but can't seem to get access or a tool onto the last bolt at the bottom of the pipe ?