R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Has anyone reused the rear view camera wiring to install a better one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 12:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
-
Has anyone reused the rear view camera wiring to install a better one?

I'm going to be upgrading the onboard nav unit to something a little less neanderthal. Mine has the rear view camera, though, and as much as possible, I'd like to NOT have to rewire everything in the car to install it. Has anyone successfully done it? I'm looking and I see 4-pin to RCA adapters on eBay (something like this); is there any chance at all this would work? I guess on the head unit side it's a FAKRA connection, so I would need the reverse - a female FAKRA to a male RCA (which I can't seem to find), which would then plug into the Android unit's female RCA for the camera. But will this even work? Curious if anyone has tried this.

[edit] I think the head unit side would use this? https://avinusa.com/factory-backup-c...rsche-bmw.html or something similar to it?

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 08-13-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
GLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I'm going to be upgrading the onboard nav unit to something a little less neanderthal. Mine has the rear view camera, though, and as much as possible, I'd like to NOT have to rewire everything in the car to install it. Has anyone successfully done it? I'm looking and I see 4-pin to RCA adapters on eBay (something like this); is there any chance at all this would work? I guess on the head unit side it's a FAKRA connection, so I would need the reverse - a female FAKRA to a male RCA (which I can't seem to find), which would then plug into the Android unit's female RCA for the camera. But will this even work? Curious if anyone has tried this.

[edit] I think the head unit side would use this? https://avinusa.com/factory-backup-c...rsche-bmw.html or something similar to it?
This connector looks exactly like the one that came with my Seicane head unit. I have yet to install my unit and I have the MOST convertor, so I don't have any real excuse other than a lack of knowledge regarding the electrical connections.