R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Thinking about buying a w251, but have questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2022 | 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK-350, R-350
I will grant you the date details were off, but the facts are the same. The balance shaft in these model years are manufactured with defective metals by MB own admission in suit. They can and do fail prematurely. Should watch out for this. Anyone purchasing a vehicle with the M272/M273 should be aware of this issue is what I am saying. The repair is on you at this point in time and can be 4-6k. A section of the suit reads as follows:The Mercedes class action settlement is for “all current and former owners and lessees of Mercedes-Benz branded automobiles equipped with M272 or M273 engines bearing serial numbers up to 2729..30 468993 or 2739 ..30088611, found in the Subject 2005 – 2007 Model Year Vehicles respectively (the ‘Subject Vehicles’), who purchased or leased their Subject Vehicles within the United States.”

The first defective engine class action lawsuit was filed against Mercedes in 2010 in a New Jersey federal court over alleged problems with the M272 or M273 engines.

“The engines are equipped with defective gears in their balance shafts (in the event of the M272 engines) or with defective idle gears (in the case of the M273 engines),” the Mercedes class action lawsuit alleged.

“These defective gears wear out prematurely, excessively, and without warning, causing the vehicle to malfunction, the ‘check engine light’ to remain illuminated, and the vehicle to misfire and/or stop driving,” the complaint added.
Old 02-07-2022 | 02:32 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by qman56
I will grant you the date details were off, but the facts are the same. The balance shaft in these model years are manufactured with defective metals by MB own admission in suit. They can and do fail prematurely. Should watch out for this. Anyone purchasing a vehicle with the M272/M273 should be aware of this issue is what I am saying. The repair is on you at this point in time and can be 4-6k. A section of the suit reads as follows:The Mercedes class action settlement is for “all current and former owners and lessees of Mercedes-Benz branded automobiles equipped with M272 or M273 engines bearing serial numbers up to 2729..30 468993 or 2739 ..30088611, found in the Subject 2005 – 2007 Model Year Vehicles respectively (the ‘Subject Vehicles’), who purchased or leased their Subject Vehicles within the United States.”

The first defective engine class action lawsuit was filed against Mercedes in 2010 in a New Jersey federal court over alleged problems with the M272 or M273 engines.

“The engines are equipped with defective gears in their balance shafts (in the event of the M272 engines) or with defective idle gears (in the case of the M273 engines),” the Mercedes class action lawsuit alleged.

“These defective gears wear out prematurely, excessively, and without warning, causing the vehicle to malfunction, the ‘check engine light’ to remain illuminated, and the vehicle to misfire and/or stop driving,” the complaint added.
3 specific model years is a far cry from every model year, which in this case is 8 years. If you have a bone to pick with Mercedes over this engine, fine, but don't spread misinformation.
Old 02-07-2022 | 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
The vehicle is beautiful exactly the same color as the 2006 that we had! Enjoy - when we first got our 2008 we had an issue with the rear door latching - sometimes it would go down and just when you thought it was going to close it would go back up again - sometimes it took 3 tries for it to lock - that has stopped now and it latches every time. What is the inside configuration? We have 3 rows seating 7 - Congratulations!
Old 02-07-2022 | 07:24 AM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
So 3 days of ownership and my first issue has come up. You guys have mentioned hatch problems many times, but I can't seem to find this exact problem. The hatch opens and closes fine, but after it closes, I get a message on the dash saying it's still open. I have to open and close it another 2-3 times for that to go away. The first 3 days I had this thing, It was working fine. It started this morning and now it happens 75% of the time. Do you know what this can be?

Thanks!
latch is common you can try to adjust it so it closed tighter. In the end you may just need a new latch mechanism. there are cheaper aftermarket. I changed mine. palid like $60 for it , ebay may 2021. works fine.
Old 02-08-2022 | 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MelKaz
The vehicle is beautiful exactly the same color as the 2006 that we had! Enjoy - when we first got our 2008 we had an issue with the rear door latching - sometimes it would go down and just when you thought it was going to close it would go back up again - sometimes it took 3 tries for it to lock - that has stopped now and it latches every time. What is the inside configuration? We have 3 rows seating 7 - Congratulations!
Thanks! I love this color. I never thought I would own a blue car but glad I got it. I'm going to hold off on doing anything to the hatch and hope it might work itself out. I also have the 3 rows of seats but I actually just bought a rear center console to turn it into 6 seats. I like that console since it has cup holders and storage. I also have the video screens on the headrests which I just figured out how to use. Luckily the remote control came with the car. The only thing I'm not that happy about is the beige interior. This color gets dirty really fast. I had the gray interior in my old w203 and thought that was bad. But I'm not complaining, lol.

Originally Posted by efzauner
latch is common you can try to adjust it so it closed tighter. In the end you may just need a new latch mechanism. there are cheaper aftermarket. I changed mine. palid like $60 for it , ebay may 2021. works fine.
OK sounds good, Thanks. I'm actually just going to hold off on it for a little bit and see if it fixes itself. If it doesn't, Ill get it checked in a few months..
Old 02-08-2022 | 08:00 AM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
Thanks! I love this color. I never thought I would own a blue car but glad I got it. I'm going to hold off on doing anything to the hatch and hope it might work itself out. I also have the 3 rows of seats but I actually just bought a rear center console to turn it into 6 seats. I like that console since it has cup holders and storage. I also have the video screens on the headrests which I just figured out how to use. Luckily the remote control came with the car. The only thing I'm not that happy about is the beige interior. This color gets dirty really fast. I had the gray interior in my old w203 and thought that was bad. But I'm not complaining, lol.

OK sounds good, Thanks. I'm actually just going to hold off on it for a little bit and see if it fixes itself. If it doesn't, Ill get it checked in a few months..
well, these lower cost latches come from china. And if your latch goes and wont even close anymore then you will have to go for a few weeks with rope holding the hatch closed from the inside like I had to do. Order the latch before its too late.
Old 04-22-2022 | 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Hey Guys,
I'm going to be installing a new head unit soon and was wondering if there was any way of making the dual headrest monitors in the 2nd row work with the new radio. Its a Kenwood ddx9907xr.

Here is how the R350 looks now. First mod was switching out the middle row center seat into a center console. Its now lowered on Ceika coilovers and WORK Wheels LS406 with Pirelli Pzero's.

Old 05-01-2022 | 05:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 4MATIC Wagon
Water Intrusion Spare Tire Area

Originally Posted by Tsumi

<snip>

Tailgate latch and lift mechanism and water intrusion into the spare tire compartment are the other common trouble areas I can think of. Water intrusion is especially problematic with Keyless Go because the Keyless Go module sits at the bottom of the spare tire compartment.
not to hijack the thread, but where is a common source for the water that accumulates in the bottom of the spare tire well? Our daughter has had her R350 for a few months now, and we just learned that they were standing water in the bottom of that spare tire area. Her car isn't equipped with keyless go, and I don't see any other electronic components in that area other than the subwoofer, but it was bone dry. Whether this water intrusion has anything to do with the battery failure and the dead battery that she got a day after replacing her battery, that's the mystery.
Old 05-02-2022 | 02:24 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by Kevin T
not to hijack the thread, but where is a common source for the water that accumulates in the bottom of the spare tire well? Our daughter has had her R350 for a few months now, and we just learned that they were standing water in the bottom of that spare tire area. Her car isn't equipped with keyless go, and I don't see any other electronic components in that area other than the subwoofer, but it was bone dry. Whether this water intrusion has anything to do with the battery failure and the dead battery that she got a day after replacing her battery, that's the mystery.
Typical is the taillight seals. Another possibility is the panoramic sunroof if you have it. I believe mine was leaking through one of the tailgate seals but I was never actually able to chase it down. I just moved all of the electronics out of the area, cleared the drain hole, and left it alone.