R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

speedometer q

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R350
speedometer q

2006 R350 with about 130k miles, purchased from somebody in northern virginia who put wrong size battery in the vehicle. There were myriad electrical issues and evil codes til I finally figured out it was the wrong battery, installed new battery (and replaced aux battery) but vehicle wouldn't go into reverse. While trying to go into reverse, vehicle speedometer shot up to max 160 mph mark and stayed there although engine was not revving, I put the vehicle in park and turned key to off but left key in the ignition. Speedometer stayed at 160, I was running through the iCarsoft v2 trying to find codes, when I looked up and realized- with the engine off, car not moving- I'd just added 600 miles to the speedometer, and climbing (wife's car, so don't tell her). immediately of course I took key out and all went back to normal, but wondering if anybody has ever seen this before? rpms are fine, idles fine, starts fine, radio works. I still get the "ESP not working" and "ABS not working" that I was getting before new battery, turning steering wheel to & fro does not help. I had let the car sit for 12 minutes before hooking new battery up, but apparently that was not the answer to reset all codes, so I disconnected the brand new battery and am now letting it sit overnight, hoping that will fix something. any insight would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R350
update

sitting overnight with disconnected battery did not clear the codes (including P0012 and p2006, which were worrisome, to say the least, but the vehicle was not exhibiting the symptoms of all of these codes), Another one of the numerous codes was failure of the speed sensors, so I shopped around, ordered 4 OEM sensors and replaced all four for less than 200 bucks; the engine codes did not clear but the vehicle was able to move again- progress. Although the steering seemed fine and the power steering was not noisy- and the reservoir appeared to have fluid- closer inspection revealed fluid all over the bottom of the power steering reservoir, that in turn had sprayed all over the bottom of the engine. So I changed out the power steering reservoir and washer, then also sprayed the engine down with no-rinse engine cleaner- one more day of driving and the codes cleared, including check engine light- apparently several of the sensors throughout the engine bay had gotten coated by the power steering fluid, and were throwing the very bad codes. stopping leak then cleaning up the leak fixed everything, with the exception of the almost 1,000 miles that I inadvertently put on the car without actually driving anywhere. moral of the story is to keep fixing the little stuff first- although the nearest dealer is 100+ miles away, I can imagine what they would have told me if I'd brought the car in to them with as many problems as the icarsoft told me it had-
Old 12-21-2021, 03:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
-06 R320 CDI 4m, -01 Viper GTS
Interesting story. Thank you for follow up on the case!