R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Vibration at idle, but only in gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 R350 Blutec
Vibration at idle, but only in gear

Whenever I’m stopped and in gear, the car starts to vibrate after 10-15 seconds. Nothing violent enough for passengers to notice, but enough that I notice every time it happens. If I tap the gas while still on the brakes while it’s happening (no more than 50 rpm rev), it subsides for a little bit, but always comes back.

I noticed the vibration right when I picked the car up after having the blutec system deleted as a workaround for all the problems it was causing. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or fixed a vibration similar to this? I found a few posts that said motor mounts were to blame, but i’m not sure how it would happen so intermittently if that was the cause.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-30-2021, 11:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,983 Likes on 3,130 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sounds like engine or transmission mounts. Time to crawl under the car and have a look. For the engine mounts, have an assistant sit in the car with the engine running. You stand in front of the car with the hood open. The assistant blips the throttle a few times and you look for engine movement to detect failed engine mount. Transmission mount is best inspected visually from underneath.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
None
At about 10 years of age, if you are going to keep the vehicle, then its probably time to change the mounts.
Even a low mileage vehicle will need to have its rubbers changed out after an extended period of time.
I wish it weren't so but...