R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

PSA: MB Diesel Settlement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 12:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 R350 BT
PSA: MB Diesel Settlement

Haven't logged in for a while since I sold my R in 2019. Got an email yesterday from the "Settlement Administrator" for the class action suit against Mercedes for their diesel emissions - so thought I'd make a quick post. Note: I'm in Canada, but assuming a similar settlement is happening in the US. Current as well as former owners are entitled to file a claim.

Details (for Canada) are here:

https://www.bluetecsettlement.ca

As I said - I think a settlement has been reached for the US and Canada - so any current or former BlueTec owner has to file a claim before March sometime.

As an aside: Mercedes should bring out an updated R in an EV version. There still is no vehicle out there that combines the packaging for people and "stuff" in a lifted wagon-ish form factor.
The following users liked this post:
hujirong (08-08-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit of a bump and a question. I also have not logged in for a while, apologies if I am out of the loop and this issue has been covered for Canada.

I signed up as part of the class, but have not heard anything on timing. Any updates? My R is in for the brake booster recall inspection and a B service this morning. I asked the dealer service advisor when I booked the appointment and they said they had ‘nothing listed’ for my model yet. From my quick reading of the class action website I expect my car will need to get some kind of ‘Field Measure’ installed by the dealer prior to any settlement? Any ideas out there on when we may get notified of the field measure?

Cheers from Calgary
Old 07-26-2022, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 R350 BlueTec
$9000 USD in parts!

I just had the Dieselgate emissions work completed on my 2010 R350 BlueTec in the USA.
They replace a LOT of stuff. Its basically everything behind the Turbo. Took 1 week for the service.

The powertrain warranty resets and covers a whole bunch of items for another 120,000 miles or 10 years. See:
https://bluetecupdate.mbusa.com/cont...ED%20(002).pdf

Parts replaced:
  • MAF sensors
  • Turbo inlet Y-pipe
  • oil vapour heater/valve thingy on turbo inlet
  • intake manifold swirl-flap thingy (aka intake port shut-off actuator)
  • PCV valve/air-oil separator
  • Turbo downpipe
  • EGR valve and cooler
  • O2/NOX/EGT sensors
  • Main/secondary cat converters
  • DPF
  • adblue/DEF nozzle and control system
  • adblue/DEF drain and fill
  • coolant? I don't know if they flushed out all the old coolant, but they definitely opened the system and added fluid
  • exhaust system - they re-used the muffler and tips but everything in between the turbo and rear suspension is brand new including the clamps
  • knock sensor or cam sensor? Some fresh-looking wiring around there
  • Glow plug ECU
  • ECM with part number A642-900-98-01 / Bosch 0281036317- looks like this is a newer model similar to what is in the 2021 Sprinter 2500

What they didn't replace:
  • Turbo? I'm not sure if they replaced this or not as I didn't write down the serial number of the old one. The new one might be a refurb unit. ITs still A Garret GTB2056V (A642-090-57-80)
  • Fuel injectors - would be good to remove injectors and have them sonic-cleaned and bench-flow tested if over 200,000 km
  • I'm not sure if glowplugs ever need to be touched on these cars, but I figure its a good thing to pull and replace seals
  • "throttle" aka airflow control valve between intercooler and turbo outlet was not touched
  • oil - you do NOT get a free oil change
  • engine air filters - I think they reused my old ones

Recommended service to do in tandem:
  • do the oil cooler replacement if it hasn't already been done since it will leak eventually - my dealer charges $600 for that work (includes oil/filter change) when already doing the emissions
  • fuel filter and lines if they haven't been done
  • vacuum pump gasket and front cover Viton seal
  • oil filter housing gaskets (if over 150,000 miles/200,000 km )
  • engine air filters (if older than 20,000 miles/30,000 km).
  • serpentine/accessory belt with tensioner, pulleys, water pump (if over 150,000 miles/200,000 km)

Changes noticed:
  • Improved accelerator pedal response.
  • Power seems unchanged, but its tough to gauge on a heavy car like this. Will need to see if there are any tuners out there that can bump up the HP/torque with all the new jazz... Hopefully the ECU was updated to be OBD-flash capable like teh 2012 model.
  • fuel economy per the digital readout hasn't changed - but I'll need to drive much more to see if there are any longterm changes.
  • Adblue/DEF consumption increase: TBD

Can't wait for the ~$3000 reimbursement in the mail!

Last edited by phatvw; 07-26-2022 at 09:37 PM. Reason: link to MB warranty
Old 07-26-2022, 06:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by stugilmour
A bit of a bump and a question. I also have not logged in for a while, apologies if I am out of the loop and this issue has been covered for Canada.

I signed up as part of the class, but have not heard anything on timing. Any updates? My R is in for the brake booster recall inspection and a B service this morning. I asked the dealer service advisor when I booked the appointment and they said they had ‘nothing listed’ for my model yet. From my quick reading of the class action website I expect my car will need to get some kind of ‘Field Measure’ installed by the dealer prior to any settlement? Any ideas out there on when we may get notified of the field measure?

Cheers from Calgary
I asked my dealership a few months ago and they told me they will let me know when the Field Measure arrive. I am going to ask them if they will do the same as mentioned by phatvw. I am in Toronto. Canada and US can be different.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:50 PM

R350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by hujirong
I asked my dealership a few months ago and they told me they will let me know when the Field Measure arrive. I am going to ask them if they will do the same as mentioned by phatvw. I am in Toronto. Canada and US can be different.
There is the reply, they don't want to confirm. Anyone in Canada has completed this services? I highly suspect they will do the same for Canada, as I remember US VW diesel customers got a free car but Canada got nothing?

~~~~~~

Thank you for your email. The Settlement in Canada is specific to Canadian Settlement Class Members.
Owners and lessees of BlueTEC II diesel vehicles in the U.S. may be eligible to file a claim in the U.S. Settlement. Visit www.MBBlueTecSettlement.com for more information on the U.S. Settlement. A Settlement Class Member who has submitted a valid claim for compensation under the U.S. settlement will not be eligible to submit a claim in this Settlement for a Settlement Class Member payment in connection with the vehicle for which compensation was claimed in the U.S. settlement.

As the third-party administrator for the Kalra v. Mercedes-Benz Canada, Inc. Settlement, we are only able to provide information related to this matter.

For more information, please visit www.BlueTECSettlement.ca.

Regards,
Kalra v. Mercedes-Benz Canada, Inc.
MB Canadian BlueTEC II Settlement
www.BlueTECSettlement.ca
Toll-free 1-855-918-6073
Old 08-10-2022, 01:53 PM

R350 Bluetec
Thank you for contacting the Mercedes-Benz Canada (MBC) Customer Assistance Centre.

Please note that the specific components vary by model and model year. Your preferred dealership can provide further details regarding your particular vehicle. You can also go to the settlement website (www.bluetecsettlement.ca) and enter your VIN under the “I Would Like To…” tab. If the Field Measure is already available for your vehicle, the dropdown section under “Field Measure Completed?” will list what components are to be replaced.