Hard Power Steering during low speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Hard Power Steering during low speed

Dear Members,

I have a 2008 R350 and yesterday while driving I felt the steering a little hard on the highway and when I reached home and while turning into my drive way the steering became very hard even to turn as I lowered the speed. I stopped and checked by steering right and left and it was hard. I parked my care and looked here for some help. Figured out there might be multiple reason. The power steering reservoir was changed a year back and see no leaks. The fluid level is good. Then I saw some of them stating it might be the "Power Steering Proportioning Valve" going bad. I don't know if my vehicle has that valve. Mine is a 2008 R350 4Matic. Can some one guide me if there is one for my vehicle and where to locate that. Any diagram or phot will be helpful.

Also any other pointers what might be causing the steering to go hard is appreciated.

Also is it safe to drive with this condition till it is fixed or recommended to not to drive.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:45 PM

Received 244 Likes on 167 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
If your vehicle is equipped with variable output power steering, yes it could be the valve. The valve is controlled by the ESP control module. If your vehicle is not equipped with it, then most likely is it your power steering pump.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Thanks MBENZTECH for the reply.

mis there a way to know if my vehicle is either equipped with valve that is controlled by the ESP control module.

thanks.