Airmatic Won't Raise & Car Shuts Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Silver R500; 2007 C230 Sport
Airmatic Won't Raise & Car Shuts Off

2007 Mercedes R500

I recently replaced my starter and after about 2 wks of no issues the rear of the car would lower without warning. The system would raise back up after stopping the car. Determined that the air compressor was beginning to fail so I replaced with a new one. Here's where it goes sideways...

- Installed the new compressor but it won't stay on long enough to fully lift the vehicle
- If I plug in the compressor the car will start but then cut off
- If I unplug the compressor the car starts and stays on
- If i plug the compressor in after the car has been started and running it will continue to run
*I thought that the system would engage and determine that the vehicle is low so it would kick on the compressor but nope

What I've done as far as troubleshooting:
- Replaced the fuses and relays with Hella as suggested by Mercedes
- Checked the system for leaks
*Valve block and lines are all new but no leaks
*The rear sensors are new
*The airmatic shocks are new as well
- I thought maybe the starter was grounding out but after double checking that it appears to be clean and not grounding

Another weird issue during troubleshooting...
- When I was looking to see if the rear level sensors were connected properly I lifted the rear of the vehicle via floor jack with the vehicle off. I removed the rear wheels and then decided to start the vehicle with the compressor plugged in. While the compressor didn't kick on it did start. However as I lowered the vehicle it would cut off. If I unplug the compressor the vehicle will start up regardless of the height of the vehicle.

Prior to replacing the compressor the vehicle started quickly and didn't exhibit any other issues so I'm not sure why replacing the compressor would cause this issue. Given that the compressor only starts for a few minutes before cutting off maybe a power issue? Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Appreciate any assistance or guidance.

Cheers,
dg
Old 09-19-2022, 01:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
well your FUYAAA hasen't solved the problem------get a factory or equal scan to correctly define the problem
Old 10-28-2023, 03:41 AM

Received 305 Likes on 238 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Here is a video that explains why when replacing the air compressor relay, it can cause starting problems soon after