Drivers door unlocks by pulling on OUTSIDE handle twice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2023 | 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R350
Drivers door unlocks by pulling on OUTSIDE handle twice

Hi,

My drivers door unlocks twice when pullng on the handle from the outside. From what I'm aware, this is only supposed to happen when you use the key and turn to the left. In my case, it happens despite the key not even being in the cylinder. My guess is it is stuck in the open position. I tried putting the key in and turning it in both directions to 'lock' it but it doesn't do anything.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Is it the cylinder that is broken? Spindle (saw this was the case on much older cars)? Actuator (door unlocks and locks fine with the remote/inside buttons though)?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2023 | 11:31 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
Originally Posted by R350NYC
Hi,

My drivers door unlocks twice when pullng on the handle from the outside. From what I'm aware, this is only supposed to happen when you use the key and turn to the left. In my case, it happens despite the key not even being in the cylinder. My guess is it is stuck in the open position. I tried putting the key in and turning it in both directions to 'lock' it but it doesn't do anything.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Is it the cylinder that is broken? Spindle (saw this was the case on much older cars)? Actuator (door unlocks and locks fine with the remote/inside buttons though)?

Thanks!
I had this problem with my car door lock. It would not get switched back to manual locked position using the key, was getting open eveeytime if pulled twice. So i stripped the door, took lock out. There was some small shaft worn out which was retaining some lever on the lock barrel, i dont exactly remember details, but it was not engaging right. I was able to fix it by using a small size setscrew and manual file. I've made a replacement for that tiny shaft from this screw, fitted it and it worked.
Hopefully you can do same and make it work.
Old 08-16-2023 | 11:42 AM

2008 R350
Originally Posted by virgisr
I had this problem with my car door lock. It would not get switched back to manual locked position using the key, was getting open eveeytime if pulled twice. So i stripped the door, took lock out. There was some small shaft worn out which was retaining some lever on the lock barrel, i dont exactly remember details, but it was not engaging right. I was able to fix it by using a small size setscrew and manual file. I've made a replacement for that tiny shaft from this screw, fitted it and it worked.
Hopefully you can do same and make it work.
wow, thanks for the quick reply! The door lock removal seems like a royal PITA. How long did this project take you? I’m wondering if I should just get a new actuator. Is the piece you’re talking about in the actuator or is it some other place?

thanks again!!
Old 08-16-2023 | 11:44 AM

2008 R350

is what you’re talking about similar to what’s this video is discussing?
Old 08-16-2023 | 11:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
Originally Posted by R350NYC
wow, thanks for the quick reply! The door lock removal seems like a royal PITA. How long did this project take you? I’m wondering if I should just get a new actuator. Is the piece you’re talking about in the actuator or is it some other place?

thanks again!!
no worries. That pin was attached to lock barrel itself to what i can recall. I might be wrong. Was repairing it a few years back. There were tricky bits when taking it apart, took me probably 3 hours.
Old 08-16-2023 | 12:16 PM

2008 R350
Originally Posted by virgisr
no worries. That pin was attached to lock barrel itself to what i can recall. I might be wrong. Was repairing it a few years back. There were tricky bits when taking it apart, took me probably 3 hours.
ok understood. I think you can remove the lock cylinder barrel without taking the door apart. Will give it a shot this weekend. Thanks again man.