R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Does engine need to be removed for cylinder head replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R350
Does engine need to be removed for cylinder head replacement?

Hi all. After tracking down a misfire for weeks/months and throwing parts at it left and right without properly diagnosing it, I found the culprit to be no compression in cylinder 4, (likely due to a bad valve?). I had misfire codes on the whole bank, cylinder 4 misfire, 5 and 6. My most recent repair was when I read someone had an identical code and it ended up being their intake manifold. I bought one, replaced it, and no luck. This is when I took it to my mechanic and he checked to see it was indeed a compression issue. My question is, is this a job that requires the engine out of the car? Or does having the engine out of the car just make the job a little easier and that's why I see a lot of people doing it? Im a fairly decent backyard mechanic lol, I've worked on my BMWs for years and haven't had to go to a shop for anything in years because I like to figure things out. I draw the line at full engine swaps and full transmission swaps. Im also a little iffy on messing with timing belts/chains but besides that, I feel confident in being able to replace the cylinder head assuming I don't need the equipment to actually lift the engine out lol. Any tips/ideas or stories would be very appreciated in advance! Im either fixing this thing or selling it at a pretty big loss