R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

PLEASE HELP ME DIAGNOSE R280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes R280CDI 4matic W251
Exclamation PLEASE HELP ME DIAGNOSE R280

Good evening ladies and gents, my first post here, seems like a wealth of knowledge on here. Soooo I'm wondering if I can't bother you for a little advice I have just flown from the top end of Australia to the bottom to pick up a 2008 R280CD and drive it back up about 2900ks, but it has I I hit a concrete drain in it a couple of years back snapped the front left rim, so after 4 new rims and tyres and alignment and balance the car has pretty much sat in the driveway for 2 years, it had a brand new battery but was never disconnected so just left to frazzle out (it was a deep cell lith-ion not AGM for some reason) then the keys were stolen so I got a locksmith to bruteforce the Ignition and write new keys, all good, then I get the ABS ESP unavailable fault, it has never gone away, every now and again I get EBV ABS and ESP unavailable, car starts carrying on, getting stuck between gears, sporadic loss and gain of power, stuck in low gears stuck in high gears, not shifting into R or D unless and will keep going until I turn the car of and on, even then sometimes it won't fix the problem until ive done it a few times, and appears to happen more when it gets hotter, I took it to Stealership who didn't even charge me to diagnose it because they hooked it up printed off the DAS sheet and told me that he reckons its the output speed sensor and it would cost me about $5000ish because id have to replace the whole valve body, and a new ABS or ESP module that would be about $11,000ish.

Yeah that's 16k for a car I was given for free but is only worth about 4k anyway, clearly he didn't want to deal with it, anyway, hoping someone can see a pattern something I'm missing or maybe seen this before, tomorrow ill be having a closer look at abs sensors and go from there

UPDATE
So took the car to a local auto elec today to use his much better scanner, turns out I was right the rear POS3 wheel speed sensor has no signal POS4 signal isn't very linear looking so id say what ever its sending to the ECU would be implausible, how ever I still have a lot of codes coming back after clearing

Engine-
2616 - the exhaust back pressure is too high

Trans
D40B & D40A NO CAN MESSAGE FROM N47-5 (ESP CONTROL UNIT
0722 SIGNAL FROM Y3/8N3 NOT AVAILABLE (OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR) VGS

ISM
1954 AND 1961 NO CAN MESSAGE FROM CONTROL UNIT N47-5 ESP CONTROL UNIT

PARKTRONIC
9068 - IMPLAUSABLE CAN MESSAGE FROM CENTRAL GATEWAY (WHEEL PULSE COUNTER)

A/C
9108 - B10/36 RIGHT FOOTWELL TEMP SENSOR (ITS IIS ACTULY IN THE CENTRE CONSOLE I FOUND IT HANGING BY ONE WIRE BUT HAVE NOT TESTED AND REWIRED IT YET)

an half a dozen little things like door control module and bulbs and the like that I won't bother listing

Any help would be much appreciated....
Old 03-01-2024, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes R280CDI 4matic W251
IUPDATE

Originally Posted by 2008R280CDIman
Good evening ladies and gents, my first post here, seems like a wealth of knowledge on here. Soooo I'm wondering if I can't bother you for a little advice I have just flown from the top end of Australia to the bottom to pick up a 2008 R280CD and drive it back up about 2900ks, but it has I I hit a concrete drain in it a couple of years back snapped the front left rim, so after 4 new rims and tyres and alignment and balance the car has pretty much sat in the driveway for 2 years, it had a brand new battery but was never disconnected so just left to frazzle out (it was a deep cell lith-ion not AGM for some reason) then the keys were stolen so I got a locksmith to bruteforce the Ignition and write new keys, all good, then I get the ABS ESP unavailable fault, it has never gone away, every now and again I get EBV ABS and ESP unavailable, car starts carrying on, getting stuck between gears, sporadic loss and gain of power, stuck in low gears stuck in high gears, not shifting into R or D unless and will keep going until I turn the car of and on, even then sometimes it won't fix the problem until ive done it a few times, and appears to happen more when it gets hotter, I took it to Stealership who didn't even charge me to diagnose it because they hooked it up printed off the DAS sheet and told me that he reckons its the output speed sensor and it would cost me about $5000ish because id have to replace the whole valve body, and a new ABS or ESP module that would be about $11,000ish.

Yeah that's 16k for a car I was given for free but is only worth about 4k anyway, clearly he didn't want to deal with it, anyway, hoping someone can see a pattern something I'm missing or maybe seen this before, tomorrow ill be having a closer look at abs sensors and go from there

UPDATE
So took the car to a local auto elec today to use his much better scanner, turns out I was right the rear POS3 wheel speed sensor has no signal POS4 signal isn't very linear looking so id say what ever its sending to the ECU would be implausible, how ever I still have a lot of codes coming back after clearing

Engine-
2616 - the exhaust back pressure is too high

Trans
D40B & D40A NO CAN MESSAGE FROM N47-5 (ESP CONTROL UNIT
0722 SIGNAL FROM Y3/8N3 NOT AVAILABLE (OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR) VGS

ISM
1954 AND 1961 NO CAN MESSAGE FROM CONTROL UNIT N47-5 ESP CONTROL UNIT

PARKTRONIC
9068 - IMPLAUSABLE CAN MESSAGE FROM CENTRAL GATEWAY (WHEEL PULSE COUNTER)

A/C
9108 - B10/36 RIGHT FOOTWELL TEMP SENSOR (ITS IIS ACTULY IN THE CENTRE CONSOLE I FOUND IT HANGING BY ONE WIRE BUT HAVE NOT TESTED AND REWIRED IT YET)

an half a dozen little things like door control module and bulbs and the like that I won't bother listing

Any help would be much appreciated....

WELL DON'T EVERYONE CHIME IN AT ONCE

Too anybody who happens to experience this, DO NOT #$%@ about replace all 4 wheel speed sensors, and chances are it will clear it all up, ABS/VSS Sensors run so many systems, I replaced them and got back my ABS, ESP, Speed Sensitive power steering, Tranny problems went away as the VGS output speed sensor started getting a plausible signal again, even the AIRmatic system was affected all from Wheel speed sensors 1 no signal and one sketchy signal....

I only replaced the back ones and now the front right one is randomly showing speeds of 320km/h when at a stand still......