R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R320- Took off DPF, cleaned it, back on etc. and STILL have problems!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes R320
R320- Took off DPF, cleaned it, back on etc. and STILL have problems!

OBD2 codes are P0420 and P2463. For the catalytic converter inefficiency and DPF soot accumulation.

So one day, I was driving and all of a sudden I have these codes show up. Limp mode not so soon after. Basically, it most likely is due to me running out of DEF. There is absolutely no warning light or anything that I could find by scrolling through the menus to see what the DEF levels were. I bought another OBD2 tester and this one shows DEF level on the live data. Filled it up with DEF, deleted all codes via the OBD2 tester, and drove 50 miles back home in limp mode.

Over the next couple days, I researched and researched how to remove the DPF for the R320 and there was absolutely no information that I could find. I was able to piece lots of information together from other mercedes models and later years from forum scouring, web searching and video watching. Eventually I was able to get my DPF removed and thoroughly cleaned. Initially, no water could pass the DPF but after multitudes of cleanings the water started to flow clear and flow rate dramatically improved.

After buying a new DPF differential sensor (broke it taking off the DPF) and waiting a few days for shipping, I was able to put everything back together.

I have driven the R320 about 250-270 miles thus far. I made the mistake of clearing my DTCs after every drive cycle. My understanding it takes at least a couple drive cycles for the system to adjust and recognize there is no longer a clog or issue with Cat/DPF. Knowing this I have since put on 130 miles since my last deletion of all DTCs via OBD2 scanner.

After removing and cleaning DPF and putting it back on vehicle, I took a look at the live data while driving and idle doing my driving cycles. DPF differential pressure sensor psi shows anywhere from 0.1 to 1.7 psi whenever I catch the number. This shows me that the DPF is no longer clogged up and I did a damn good job cleaning it out.

Problem is the live data on my OBD2 sensor is STILL showing DPF_REGEN_PCT at 100%. I believe this means that it is still showing it completely blocked? Not sure could just mean system will regen when ready and maybe the DTCs are throwing it off? How could that be possible if the DPF differential pressure is showing good airflow for a properly working DPF?

Anyways, I am still in limp mode and not sure if I should keep driving it highway miles or delete codes on OBD2 scanner?

Any suggestions?